Sunday, July 8, 2012

Thin Soup

Thats a pic of the front of the fish box in guide boat 003...well that ain't going to happen until our King run gets better or silver / red / pink season arrives. One half hour ago ADF+G announced that the Kenai will be Catch and release only for King salmon starting tommorrow. I'm sick about it, worried for us but more so worried for the fish.  In an unprecedented move they have also closed the commercial set net fishery and I have to assume it will be closed until we get a King salmon escapement projection. Right now the run is so weak that a total of 9,000 is predicted, we need at least 15,000. I was a optomistic last week, now we're in uncharted waters and what it all means I don't know.  We have options and this situation could create early and outstanding silver fishing, it could even develope into really quiet and fun catch and release fishing. We'll see I guess. Below is a pic of my friend Ray and his wife Jena releasing a big ol Kenai King, they don't seem to put out by it do they ?
Below is apic of my new friend Bob Mahood and his grandson Lonnie and best friend Trent. These guys stood strong with me through a bitterly cold day of slow fishing and kept their humor intact. These kids are the kind of young men that america is proud of, great students, interested athletes and respectful and fun with us grown-ups....I gotta thank you guys Bob, meeting folks like you is the best part of what I do....Pure -la-vida....living well.
I know this blog entry was short and not so much fun, sorry, I'm just not in the mood for chuckly stuff. I really wanted to get this news out there as fast as I could. The situation can change so I'm calling people for this week and next week I'll do the same. If you're with me on the remainder of this King season and I haven't called yet feel free to ring or e-mail me. Those of you on the last week of July I really think we need to breath through our noses a bit and wait see...

No comments:

Post a Comment