Monday, November 19, 2012

Keeping Track

You know how I like lists. Every fishing season in my gear shed / sauna / world headquarters I post a list of goals for the year. It helps me bare down on my job and reminds me what I'm all about.  I think just having goals is really as important or maybe even more important than achieving them, its what I know about life, you've got to keep moving forward, its the only direction. This year my list was short and sweet, lets see how we did....
1. I really need one of these babies to go on the wall with my other very cool fish. Ernie catches them, of course Slah catches them, I've see Jason catch them...and I can't. Well this year I'm locked and loaded , I've got Mirro Lures, I've got swim baits and I know where to go, so we'll see.

2. I think I deserve a half check for this. I never actually biked the entire loop (Kenai-Slowdotna via spur highway then K-beach) but I biked the equivalent 25 miles many times.

3. For two years now I've been working on a song who's title is She gave me luggage for Christmas (and I didn't know I was going anywhere). This year I've added a few songs to my repertoire but I just can't get that darn thing so I'm happy with it. Writing songs is the toughest unimportant thing in the world.

4. I'm kinda high strung. But age has this way of mellowing us out so this one I get a check for. Its a no brainer, this just happens to you. Years ago I used to hear people say "man I gotta mellow out".....I always thought this was kind like wanting to be senile. But now I know....if you're like me all you gotta do is live long enough to get perspective, and you'll calm down...

5. Years ago my loved ones coerced us into buying a timeshare  from them because they new then about timeshares what I know now....know what I mean?.  But the good news is we had a week expiring so we're off to Maz, you know what I always say about a party, come early, stay late.

6. Yikes....theres some things a guy shouldn't joke about. I apologise if I've created bad moe-joe with an attempt at humor. I don't really want to catch the last salmon and I don't want you to either.
Subtract 2 checks for this deal, I deserve it.

7. If you ever see me running around without my front teeth again its because I got to weighing less than MP.  I started my fall training season on Sept. 18th at 203 pounds. This weekend I hit 189. So I think this check is a done deal. For the first time since I started my new life in the gym 10 years ago I'm weighing less than 190 pounds. Cool man.....with a little encouragement I could post a picture ya know...

8. You're talking to a guy who's only mowed the lawn once or twice in his life. Truth be known its one of MP's favorite things, executing the grass, so why would I deprive her? But his year she went to Moooontana and I had to get it done. The mower is self propelled but holy moly, that baby's fast....MP had to tell me about the variable speed control bar....well after I was all lathered up like an old 1/4 horse.

9. Now that last one my business partner / counselor and common sense meister put on there. I don't know why she thinks I'm irresponsible with money but she does. Like Woody used to say " I must have money, they keep sending me checks".

I'll end this edition of the life and times of a fit and calm but frustrated song writer who really wants the salmon forever with a pic of the river, of course....that's why we call it Mile 14.  Yesterday at about noon it was 10 degrees when I heard a boat. We didn't get a pic but sure enough as Geno would say, an I.B.R.B. (itty bitty rubber boat) ran buy...how and especially WHY I don't know. But he was dodging those ice chunks and his buddy in the front was hunkered down trying to avoid frostbite....wouldn't it be better to just watch the Bronco game like everyone else?
So happy thanksgiving to all of you that come to Mile 14 for a rest from the world. Me and MP have a lot to be thankful for....and we hope you do to.

2 comments:

  1. No that's a song I need to hear! More Karaoke coming! Happy Thanksgiving Jeff and MP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a great blog, i really enjoyed reading this, good luck in your work. Fish Mounts

    ReplyDelete