Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Mexi-Musts


If anybody thinks me and Team X aren't serious about this fishing deal just check out the box at the right of this photo, how many people do you know that take 800 fish hooks to Mexico? But with this post I want to do a primer on what's important to have stowed away in your luggage...One of my favorite blogging techniques, a list...
1. Krocodile lures in 1 /12 to 2 1/2 ounce. If you could have only one lure to take to Alaska it would have to be the Pixie, same with the Krocs and Mexico surf fishing.

2. Celery Salt . I know they have it there...but try to find it. The perfect Bloody Mary - Medium glass of Herdez brand (Clamato) or (kermato) , a dash of Maggi ( stout Mexican Worcestershire) , a dolup of creamy horseradish, a sprinkle of Tajin spice and a good sprinkle of celery salt...float in an ounce of Jimador Blanco  Tequila and stir it with a celery stalk...walla......

3. Horseradish...you're going to need that for your Shrimp cocktail sauce as well.

4. Licorice...if you're like me and enjoy an occasional licorice binge you gotta bring your own, its not there. You can get red vines....BUT that AIN'T  licorice.

5. Shore Lunch fish batter...my friend Keith Holtan turned me onto this stuff years ago. So for a guy who eats and catches more fish than a seagull its essential. Of all the batter mixes out there, Mexican, American, Paul Prudomme to Emirel Lagasse, that stuff from Minnesota is the best. Period.

6. Maui Babe...If you want a dark tan, that's the undisputed winning product. I don't know how it works, hey, it might even have paint in it but I don't care. My friend Mike Sheets from Ketchikan Alaska lead me to the Maui Babe. After 3 days in Mazatlan Mike looks like Aristotle Onassis.

7. Pedometer...Thats MP's department. But its nice to know when you get that 10,000 steps in so you can stop walking, be guilt free and have a Pacifico.

8. Old Bay....peel and eat boiled camarones.

9. Books....ya gotta have some 'start up' trading material.  This year my friend Dick Hahn sent me Joe Mckinnes book about Alaska,  Going To Extremes .  So I have that and 3 other non-fictions. I don't read novels much as I kinda feel like I wasted my college days so now when I read I want to learn. Right now I'm reading Jon Mechums book about Thomas Jefferson, The Art of Power.

10. Warm clothes... I know that sounds strange but we've been stuck down there before without a polar fleece hoody when it gets into the 40's and 30's at night, and try to find one down there....One year I told my friend Daniel Lizzaraga who sells hats on the beach that if he could find a gross of electric blankets he could set himself up for retirement....brrrrrrr......ooops don't complain about the cold Jeff, its only 5,127 miles from Soldotna....

Well that's kind of a start. If any of you are going to Mexico and need counsel on what to take just holler...I'm pretty good at it. I'm starting to pack now and trust me, I won't forget the pic of jet-dog for the refrigerator.


3 comments:

  1. "Going to Extremes". Wow had't thought about that book in awhile. Page 207 my sister owned the only Travel Agent in Valdez at that time. They use to take a 54 foot sail boat to Guatemala hmmmm ? ?? She ended up leaving that place for Kauai Hawaii. Had a wonderful life as a captain in Poupou, Kauai. Died in a car accident 2010. We miss her so...<3 anyway don't know how much of that book is true :) but you brought back memories
    have a great time in Mexico marci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats the coolest thing about our state, its so small that we're connected. My friend Mike Anastay is in the book as well...I didn't know about your sister Marc...you guys take care and we'll see you in March....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a great blog, i really enjoyed reading this, good luck in your work. Fish Replica Purchase

    ReplyDelete