Saturday, February 16, 2013

Fat Tuesday...and....

This years Carnival theme was ' The Magic Lantern', a tribute to the film industry. Of course every single parade we've ever done has to start with a salute to Pacifico beer. MP and I have it figured this way - if you're an attractive and interesting young Mexican woman in Mazatlan you start out as carnival royalty. Then the next year you're royalty alumnus and the years after that you're a Pacifico girl until you get tired of the whole deal.
One of the many things I love about Mexico is how people cherish their elders. It really never dawned on me that respecting your elders was all that important and I guess I didn't do a very good job of it when I was young...and then  I started to become an elder. So here's the float that had all the past years royalty on it. Carnival Mazatlan is over 100 years old , its connection to the past important. Don't these lovely ladies look to be having a great time? I like it.A lot.
Every movie had it's music blaring and a Mexican dance troupe along. Old movies, new movies, the were all there. A few of my favorites.
My all time best float though is one I don't know what the corresponding movie was. I was just taken by the timing and the beauty. The sun was just going down and we had this great 'afterburn' that we talk about going on. The globe seemed to amplify the light so I ran along beside it until I got this pic just right. The movie could be anything but the moment sure wasn't...it was everything.
This year we watched from in the inland side of the malecon. We found a nice elevated curb that's actually the island of the road, we're strategically placed next to a Pacifico tent and a banos. Perfect place. But as the parade got going we were kind of mobbed by people wanting the same great view that we had...so we ended up spending the evening with a Mexican family and shared some laughs . Their little girl let me take this pic after she got all her Carnival eye lashes, wig and make up on.
But the gals who stole the show this year were the Brazilian beauties as everyone was calling them. It seems that as part of Brazil's promotion for the up coming Olympics and to showcase their own somewhat more riske Carnival they sent 30 representatives to our parade. Well...mmmm...I guess all I can say is... you can only imagine. This pic will give you an idea of how one of the three floats looked. Colorful, loud, just a fun time with the sun going down.
It was pretty much dark as we walked out the Malecon to get our ride home. I took these two pictures, the 1st kinda shows you the feel of the lit up malecon during the event and the second shows the importance to the economy. They estimate that this night we shared  with about 400,000 people. Not one single problem, not one single weirdness.
As me and MP continue to try and get our 10,000 steps a day we get a little bored with the same old walk down our street so we often go into town. This morning we came across the kids Triathlon. What a great scene, our town full of energy and excitement. These kids here were in the middle of the pack but you couldn't tell it by looking at them...they certainly deserve a picture at Mile 14 for the effort. The next pic was the finish line and all the proud parents...Just like a SoHi basketball tourney.
We stopped at a fountain so I could set up the tripod and get a pic of us...Just so all our family and friends will see that we're OK.After almost 3 months of being closely together neither of us is sporting black eyes. It was so cool there that I took another pic looking up the road through the fountain.
I remember a bumper sticker I saw one time that said ' Graffiti saved my life'. Well we came across this graffiti and its just confused and nonsensical and it surely can't save any one's life...but to me it said ' you're doin OK, mentally, physically, spiritually ...and I think MP is too....it also means that I have another 385 pics available on my 4 gig SD card.I can't wait.
And of course for all of you wondering about the fish...well, ya don't hear me braggin do ya? Ern offered to get my pic with this nice Robalo he caught. But I can't do that, there's still plenty of time for me to catch my own and get him to Mike Dinkel for my  office wall. 
So this last pic is of me and Alberto with all that we've really caught on the last few fishing trips...friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment