Sunday, July 7, 2013

Speechless

Since I started my guitar collection sometimes I have a little guilt, they cost a lot but they're just so cool objects. I remember asking my friend Dave Unruh who is a working musician how many guitars he owned and he replied " six....but only three that matter". Well, I've got about six and just one that 'matters', this one, just given to me for my 60th birthday. My story always comes out in my music and now it's on it.
The sound box has my favorite things, the symbols of what I'm all about with the material taken from where and what I love. Mexican beach glass, shells from a hand-holder walk, the peace that I'd always like in my heart, the hematite that's my good luck touchstone....and of course the Rooster Fish, Pez Guyo, the noblest fish I've ever tricked. The guyo is glass and Mazatlan shells, fantastic.
The neck and head stock is history and inspiration's that I like. It has the bones that I carry in my pocket to keep myself grounded. It's Montana and Alaska, it's the journey.
So if and when you get to Mile 14 you gotta have a look at this guitar. I don't mind telling you that with me turning 60 in a few days I've been kind of taking a bit of inventory of my life. And I guess I've been a bit hard on myself when I think I haven't really done anything....chase fish, play music, walk the beach, ride the bike, work out in the gym...but ya know, if I've made somebody love me enough to create this I've certainly done a few things right, varsity level as I like to say. So here's a pic for you MP, mucho gracias and I love you so.
 FISH.....Man, I'll bet some of you would like to hear about that some eh? Well, this week was interesting. We're fishing without bait and that seemed to keep the locals home, The fishery was really fun, peaceful but wet and rainy. I fished a total of 13 people and we caught 5 King Salmon, and they were all a bit small. But the good news is that we're fishing and I did see some really nice fish. I expect this next week to be better of course. We have perfectly clear water for fishing the lures so all we need is a few more fish. We have a.m. tides like I love to fish and we know the run builds towards the middle of the month. So I'm optimistic...what kind of fishing guide would I be if I weren't ? As always the experience and the people were great this week, I just wish the fish were bigger but hey...even the caribou were a bit on the svelte side.
We also seem to be enjoying an early arrival of the red run, so it's that time of year. Red salmon, red eyes, red fish boxes....lets go get em....carefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment