Sunday, July 14, 2013

Thanks.....

The first thing I have to do is thank the guys that fished with me this week. The ol Kenai was a bit slow for Kings and I have to say that combined with about as long of an anti-moe-joe run as I've ever suffered through we really didn't do very well. But my customers are the best, we caught a few and smiled a ton so my hats off  to the class of week 2, 2013. Trev, Tim and Rand, my old friend Kenny Falon and my new friends Judy, Rich and Collin....Thanks you guys, you're the best. And this guy, Tim Kennedy's dad is golden, he's a retired Lutheran minister , a man of wisdom and humor...I hope I see you again Dick.
The coolest thing happened yesterday. This moose was bound and determined to make a show for the fleet trolling the toilet hole. When she swam out a guy in a boat next to me said it would make a good blog pic....wow...he say's ' yeh I read ya'. Now maybe I know you and just didn't recognize you or if I don't know you all I can say is thanks again for reading my blog. I hope I get to know you and you're cordially invited to join the culture here at Mile 14, come launch your boat and share some chuckles, I think you'd like it here.
And here's a pic of me and MP's new bike. Boy howdy are we gonna look like the loving couple just pedaling our way through old age. It's even got a basket for when we ride to the pharmacy to get our meds. I suppose we'll adjust but our maiden ride didn't really go so well. Both of us wanted the front, one turned left and the other right and I kinda think MP was either riding the brake on me or just flat out sand bagging because I pedaled my #@* off. C'mon baby we gotta work together.
You know how I like lists, it's about the only thing in my life that I use order. So, I'm going to do 2 lists, one of the good things about turning 60 and one about the bad things of turning 60.

THE GOOD
1. My health insurance went up. How could that be good?...well, I used to really rant about the cost of something I don't use, that was dumb. Because now I know that means I'm healthy, which I am and that's huge.
2. All my life I've been swimming against the current. I don't know why but I just couldn't conform. Well, at the age of 60 I'm finally feeling regular, kinda normal, healthy in the head I guess.
3. I can apply that same feeling to authority. I've always hated that and I don't know why...but now I'm kinda figuring that in realty I AM the authority. Coooool.
4. I've been feeling kinda free. Free from pretensions, free to be myself. My old buddy Bill Forrest used to say "if you don't like the gate, don't swing on it".
5. Every now and then I have a younger guide ask me things and in a way show respect. I like this. As competitive a bunch as we are some guys see it....I've done it. I've dedicated my life and 100% of my energy to being this guy....Jeff King, Kenai River Guide, fish expert and lifestyle artist.
6. I might not have as many years left as younger guys but I see quality over quantity. I think when you turn 60 you have a library of experiences to draw on, to help you prioritize life, you know...I ain't wasting time on that or them...Don't sweat the small stuff...and its all small stuff. 
7. I've noticed that as I get older I get more confident, things seem comfortable. I'm convinced that the only way it could work is that you continue to gain confidence and comfort and when it's time to leave the planet you'll be confident and comfortable with that too. Maybe that's called grace.

THE BAD
.







So Happy 60th b-day Jethro...did any of you know that July 16th was the date they first test fired a nuclear bomb? Yup, true story. 

1 comment:

  1. Happy 60 to the best Uncle ever!! Glad there's good in your life; you sure bring good to ours.

    ReplyDelete