Wednesday, April 23, 2014

1984

Actually I think it was 1985 or 86 but 1984 sounds so much more interesting and there's a kind of connection there to the viewing, maybe experiencing the future which for me is.....now.

That fish on the left was one of the first 'jumbo' units of my guide career, I'll never forget it for many reasons . Terry and his sister Paula Wetzsteon came to the river with their grandparents knowing like we all learn that at a certain age creating and keeping special moments with those you love are about the most important thing in the world.  As you can see we were making the drift from the 'Toilet'  through 'Eagle Rock' over and over and over and......Terry's rod goes down and stays down, I'm excited of course and Pa is having trouble reeling in, mmmmmm, he's got one on as well. It's the first double I've ever seen, since then of course I've learned to 'force' the double by having people continue to fish as we fight a King and we've had two on at once many times, even three. But this was flat exciting. We decide to focus on Terry's fish first which he had off the bow of the boat. Pa was to the stern and as we netted Terry's fish I looked over my shoulder and seen that he had lots, and I mean lots, as in what too much line out. So I  point the boat at the fish and Paula actually drives for awhile as we get organized for the battle. The fish had gone under a few boats but in those days the traffic wasn't what it can be now and we worked through it. Pa was tough, he lifted and reeled, lifted and reeled and like big fish do we really didn't see it much until it came up and into the net....walla.

Back then it was all so new , Hunter Fisher Taxidermy only charged 300 or 400 dollars for a mount and I remember the discussion. Paula's Grandma didn't want a dead fish in any way of any form in her house so the negotiation was interesting. It ended up in the house of course and now years later it's in Terry's Iowa home. It's the coolest thing about fish mounts....long after people are gone someday someone will say....."yup, I guess my great gramps wrestled that thing in Alaska, can you imagine catching a fish like that?"

So Paula was here almost 30 years ago with her 82 year old Grand father and this year she is coming with her 82 year old father. It's awful cool for me. Terry and his wife Carrie did a 'deja vue' trip a few years back and we had a great time. Now I'm honored to be part of new memories and a bit of refection on the old I'd guess. I wish people that don't seem to understand my job could meet the Wetzsteons. See you in a few months Paula....

Of course things aren't the same as they were, I guess that's everywhere and everything. But I have something at few of my younger competitors don't....life long relationships....1984.
Jacques Lizin....my friend of 30 years. A gift into my life brought to me by the Kenai River.
Jack and Joetta Wong put Mile 14 on their Christmas card...1987. Jack was a sail maker in Washington DC and disappeared off a boat. Joetta still sends us cards and best wishes....well we love you too Joetta.
Sally Brooks lifetime friend Libby who told me once that the best thing she does every year is go fishing with me. Wow, a year is a lot of experiences.
I met my friend Marty Holleran through Tommy O'Mara and Petey Karl, some of the funnest people I've ever met....and that's a lot of people. That fish Marty is holding is the one in my office. It's my " grandpa got that ....." fish story fish.
Me and Bert Holtan with our rally caps on. What can I say about Bert....one time business got in the way of a scheduled trip, he sent a check knowing I was a young guy with kids and....well....he was.... Bert made his last cast but his son and I are great friends and Keith is varsity player on the Kenai River.

And when you see this sight like I have thousands of times it never gets old. The fish grows in size and clarity as he gets close to the surface. The sun lights him up like he had L.E.D.'s of his own and your heart is pumping and get a really , really good look......HE'S JUST BARELY HOOKED.....now that's worth remembering.


4 comments:

  1. Now your catching my interest towards salmon fishing. But this year is out so I can saves pennies for Mazatlan. Thinking about booking a condo up on your beach for at least 1 of our weeks in feb. if there is enough room up there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are awesome, Unc! (Especially your beard!!) What year did they start licensing guides on the river?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing that in the grand scheme of things over the course of days, weeks, and years, the good times are relatively a small portion of the total time yet are the times we remember the most.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's well said Dave...In the pics I notice OMC controls so it was my first 35 horse, most likely 1986. So Parks took over the river and started licensing guides in 82 and it took till 86 to implement the H.P. limit. In 83 I had the Klamath then ran the big Mercs on the million dollar boat in 84 and 85...Ya notice in that one pic I'm reaching for a cigarette, I can't believe used to smoke but I suppose lot of America feels that same way.

    Theres some great rental deals to get up north Tim so just holler if you need some ideas.

    ReplyDelete