Monday, December 15, 2014

Making sense instead of cents

Fishing lends it's self to theories. It's the self made science of why this happens or when that happens and in a lot of cases when this or that doesn't happen, some people would call those excuses but not fishermen...We've heard them all. Waters to warm, waters to cold, waters to wet, waters to murky, waters to clear, waters to high, waters to low....you know. So then  you also know what I'm leading up here to eh?...yup, it was a tough week of fair chase for your's truly and Shark team X. Locally here I caught just a few Toro. We were struggling so we fished new spots and the rewards were few . Here's a pic of the team and the only nice fish of the week...Mickey Mantle knocked it out of the park again, nice fish Slah.

So, with the fishing a bit slow it gave us time for the usual shopping, exploring and the ebbs and flows of life in general. One of the cool things about Mazatlan is that it's a big working city so you can find and do just about anything you can do anywhere else...but differently. For instance we just had to see the new Hunger Games movie Mocking Jay. So we went twice. The first time we had a research gremlin and got to the Grand Plaza for the matinee just to find it out it was only in Spanish with no sub titles. But it all worked out fine because they had great Chinese food at the Plaza and the next day found us at the new Mall in Cinemex Platino, about the nicest movie theatre I've ever been in....great movie. I love Woody Harrelson's character. I took this pic of my favorite film critic.
So with our first movie date rained out we had time to get to the music department at the Cimagel in the Gran Plaza. I bump into this young guy who with his mom was in the midst of buying what I assume was his first electric guitar. He was a little reluctant to play them so I kinda came in handy for him, you don't buy shoes without trying them on ya know. So I grabbed an Ibanez and rattled off the little lead guitar I know, nice and loud....Inna Godda Divida ....He was excited and so he should be. I wanted to tell him welcome to finding a steady thing in your life. It's the music, it's always the music. As we grow older, sadness and happiness slip your way, friends betray and love leaves, success comes and the truth stays...through it all you have this one thing that never changes, that's always the same...it's the music, it's yours, it's always there for you....that's what I wanted to say but instead I just gave him a red star hole pick and a simple "buenes suerte"....good luck.
I snapped this next pic the other morning as I fished in front of El Rancho one of our old friendly places. You can see what the hurricane did but in true Mexico style we carry on. It kind of tells the story of this place I love. Sometimes it's a little rough, sometimes you need to adapt but it's always welcoming and entirely Mexico....it's the real deal.
Speaking of welcoming....we got on a Cerritos Juarez bus on our way to get shrimp. Now I've seen many ornate buses that the drivers customize and most are usually family and religous themed. So it made me feel good and welcome to see the art in this bus. The ceiling is first, the back of the bus is second and walla....old glory proudly depicted to all.
As MP picked out our shrimp from our favorite shrimp lady Monica a tour bus pulled up from off a cruise ship. These folks were loving it, music blaring and seeing sights that are all new to them. I got to feeling pretty lucky for being a bit more....ahhh...engaged in Mexico than them. But's it's that newness that makes for special memories, they know it and I know it so I try to find that same newness everyday. Some times we do, some times we don't.....but me and MP are looking for sure. I guess I found out that it's easier to find things when you're looking, even if you don't know exactly what it is you're looking for.
Being a world authority on sunsets I kinda like this one. Dave the bum was fishing and even though there were many toro around I gave it a rest and if I hadn't I wouldn't have gotten this cool pic. Life at La Marina...


2 comments:

  1. As I head 5 hours north to fish on 24" of ice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Lake Erie deal looks really cool Dave,,,,,someday you need to introduce me to ice fishing, looks to me like you need lots of toys....and I like THAT

    ReplyDelete