Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The Hunt For Red October

At Mile 14 I have the largest collection in existence of  Kenai River lost articles....anchors, knives, pliers, seats and props etc. And so I should, after all I invented the sport of Marine Salvage. So it did my heart good to get to sleepy ol Mexico and find that I haven't lost my touch. Being the first on the beach every morning means that I get to high grade the shell piles and sort through the beach glass but boy oh boy did I ever hit the mother load with this find the other morning.
Yup....genuine Russian Navy marine grade binoculars. Now my friend Tony is like me, he reads a lot and knows his military history so I was a little disappointed when he discarded them as a kids toy.  He has forgotten that the USA has always had a technological edge on the Russkies so be careful to not apply our standards to their products. I remember reading about the first Mig 21 that a defector flew to Japan and on inspection the USA guys were shocked at how primitive it's construction was.  So I think it's the same deal. These guys came off a Russkie Nuclear Submarine that emergency dived with the binoculars outside because and American Coast Guard Cutter from Ice Station Kodiak had discovered them on the surface smoking cigarettes .....You remember the scene in the Movie....I jus vant to go to Moooooontaaaaana.....

Speaking of Tony we decided to do a black op for Christmas Eve, you know a secret gift to our building. Me and MPeasy had all the planning done but Tony is an operational genius. We mobilised  at 0200 hours and within a half hour we had a message for our building and the entire world I guess. It wasn't long before everyone noticed it and I was reminded that in the early 70's some called it ' the foot print of the American Chicken'....mmmmm,,,,it's just simple peace and love I think.
So having worked with some candles me and MP were duly impressed when on  Christmas night we saw UFO's floating past the house. In the beach lot next door some young Mexican couples were releasing these mobile luminaries. They really flew and MP said they were sent aloft in remembrance of loved ones gone. It was gorgeous and there certainly was something spiritual about this wonderful addition to our Christmas.
And here's a pic of our building taken from the beach on Christmas night. Everyone was in a great spirit and I have to say we had a wonderful, although quiet, Christmas. The next pic is MP and Sharon Radke at the band stand in the Plaza Machado which is all decked out for the holiday season. As you walk the Plazuela it has a European feel, Music over flows from many of the restraunts and it's about as cool a hand holder as me and MP have ever done.
So with Christmas over and Shark Team X on vacation we needed a project. So it was off to the Sierra Madres and the small town of Concordia to find a chair. The ride is just gorgeous and Tony wanted to find his way around the new Maxi Pista (pay road from Durango) so we killed two, maybe even three birds with one stone....I just forgot what the third bird was but I know we did it.
Concordia is the Chair / Furniture capitol of Sinaloa and maybe even all of Mexico. The Concordia rocker is a standard issue here in Mazatlan and you should be able to get one for about 80 bucks, depending on the day and your negotiation skill. Here's a whole line up of those babies and a pic of a custom model.
You drive the town of Concordia and every house has a wood shop building furniture, you can smell the cedar being worked, it's awesome . But also kind of weird in that there are few places to purchase furniture, that's saved for the little town of Messina just down the road where they have high end shop after shop. The town is perfectly clean , I guess this broom seller figured something out.
I guess I better print a pic of the church in Concordia. Most towns have one similiar but this anchors the town for sure. It has the square and band stand with city hall across the road and even the bank speaks to the history of this wonderful town, it's real for sure. 
So me and MP here at Mile 14,425 would like to wish all of you a Happy New Year. I hope 2015 finds you all healthy and happy. I appreciate that you find what we do interesting enough for some of  your time. So I'm sure you all know that this unique lifestyle we've honed out of this old world is largely due in part to my friends, the fish and the future....thanks to all.
And gawd dang it Tony.,...why'd ya have to go and do that to my Nikes.....that ain't #%&@^ funny !
OH....Team X went fishing as I went to Concordia. Just another example of Jeff's laws of life...." when your ship comes in....there's a good chance you'll be at the airport".

No comments:

Post a Comment