Monday, September 21, 2015

care-e-boo

Sometimes I feel like Dr. Doolittle here at Mile 14, we got lots of animals. This week it was two huge Bull Caribou that moved in and just wouldn't leave. The first day they were here I took pics and posted them on facebook and thought ' well that's another cool thing' and then.....they wouldn't leave. They sat in the parking lot with people launching boats and parking cars right next to them. I had people call and say " do you realize............".......yup we do. Here's  a pic of one morning and those guys at the launch.
And here's a pic of them starting to joust in the middle of the road which led to this incredible video. I put the camera down and grabbed my phone and then just walked up on them. I kind of wish I hadn't chickened out at the end but I hit stop and did an ' exit stage right ' when he looked like he might want to lock antlers with me.....don't need that, hell I'm 62 years old. 
So then when I was fishing on day 4 of the Caribou invasion some thoughtless home owner left out a clothes line and one of them got stuck in the rope while jousting again. He had it entangled pretty good so one of our local do gooders called ADF+G and they darted him with tranquilizers and removed the rope. Now I know you're thinking that's a sad part of the story but rumor control tells me that his sparring partner waited patiently for him to recover and they wandered off together knowing what a lot of my friends have learned through the years..... hanging out at Mile 14 can be hard on a guy sometimes.


I ended the season of 2015 with a really fun weekend. I traded my fishing friend from Mazatlan ol Kiko a surf fishing rod and he got his salmon in fine style. Here's a pic of him and Wally Brown, great day guys , thanks.
Here's pic of my new friend Jonesy after he FINALLY landed a salmon. He was with Kevin Fuze and friends and kept me chuckly chuckin all day long. Let me put it this way....he learned a lot about fishing in a short time.....
From a 1/2 mile off we see a guy coming up river just plowing water. I guess I've never seen anything quite like. He had the bow almost straight up and the Stern dangerously close to the h2o.  All I can think is that he had a boat full of water and a failed bilge pump and was to lazy to bail the water out....yup, that's worth risking your life for. I don't know but lately I'm seeing some pretty stupid boaters out there.... Maybe we need an education and license course like some states, I don't know the answer but these guys endanger others as well, notice he has no life jacket. I clicked the camera as a 'normal ' boat went by....who's operator IS wearing a life jacket.
So me and the boys corralled those silver pretty good on Sunday, my last trip of the season. And I have to say it was the warmest and funniest season ender of all time. So thanks Kev for bringing new recruits to F Troop, we'll see ya next year.
So having said that I guess you know that I've committed to another year of guiding on the world famous Kenai River with our corporate Headquarters in the parking lot of Stewart's Landing at Mile 14. I think I still have a lot of gas in my tank but all of you, my friends , please let me know if I look to be staying to long....don't wanna fall down on the way  to first base like a legendary Giants outfielder.... Here's pic of me, guide 003, with the last salmon of 2015. Kind of funny, that pic of me on my sd card is number 333, no kidding.
I hope you keep coming back to Mile 14.  Although we're done with salmon we're going to be on the move and you can bet we'll have active ingredients to share....fish, fun,friends,  music, sunseta's and sun upa's....see ya soon.


2 comments:

  1. Time to get the surf gear tuned up. What do you have 7 weeks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmm....yup, we're outa here in about 7 weeks. Man does time fly

    ReplyDelete