Monday, May 8, 2017

Showtime

Last night me and MPeasy walked down to the river as we always do after supper. As I looked down from the sand spit I could see that the current was dead , high tide and I could see the tell tale Vee of Seal swimming upriver....and we all know what that means....he ain't here for a haircut. When we got down to the launch there was a huge splash and commotion just 30 feet off the launch where he'd chased a salmon into the shallows, pretty darn cool. Then he came up in mid river and stared at us for awhile and even if the camera was ready that's a hard shot to get so.....Well, I'm ready.

I got the boat launch all shoveled off and went fishing as I did it for the 1st time in 3 years. It felt soooo good. Here's a pic of my set up, a rod on one of the fence posts and the side planer board mid river towing a k-15 Kwikfish. No strikes but we'll get one real soon.

So today I splash the boat. I've got a new water pump installed. I have new line on  newly rebuilt reels. As I'm in the waning days of my guide career I've shot the locks off my tackle drawer and I have new Flatfish, Kwikfish, Magnum Hot Shots and Cheaters...It's showtime.

But....I guess as we get older we're all going to start hearing what I heard from my  Eye Doctor the other day ' get used to it ' . There's nothing to be done about the Posterior Vitreous Detachment that hit me last week. Anyone that's had floaters know that they're a nuisance to say the least and he tells me that in the next month they will dissolve some and your brain gets 'used ' to them kind of like the Tinnitus I have in my ears from Jet Units, power tools and loud Country Music....First hundred years is the roughest eh? Here's a semi creepy pic of what I have going on.....and oh, MP is going in for knee surgery on Wednesday but she'll heal up fast I'm sure. ' Get used to it ' , my new mantra.

As I was getting the new ( 10 years now ) boat ready I got to thinking about the old one that really made it all happen for me. I posted this pic on Facebook of it right before I took it out of the water to have factory logo's put on it when I got my Honda Sponsorship in 1991. I hated to cover up that custom paint that my friend Gary Allison did for me but the Honda deal was huge  and it had to happen.
Well my friend Jacques Lizin saw the pic of the old Honda Boat and came back with a pic he had of us on the Dock at Beaver Creek with an impressive load of Silver's. It must have been 1988 and a few things jump out at me....It was before the no fishing for the guide rule as we have 14 fish for 4 people....and YIKES !, I've got a cigarette . And how's a bout the Johnson 2-stroke motor. That was my second one and that baby was a coughin, smokin, loud fish chasin machine. It had all the best features, power trim and tilt, a 'bigfoot' lower unit and direct oil injection and it cost  $2400.00. And oh....how about that Laker shirt ?  It was when they were at their best, James Worthy, Magic, Kareem, Curt Rambis and my favorite, Coop, for 3 from far outside.
We'll have fish pics real soon here at Mile 14, come on back.

2 comments:

  1. Too bad I didn't have a phone that recorded way back when. I recall a rather aggressive hookset while silver fishing with Guide 003. To this day I've never seen a rod blow up like that. Heck, if that video was on YouTube there'd be a million hits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete