Saturday, October 14, 2017

From the river that brought you the biggest King Salmon....

how's about the biggest ( floating ) snag I've ever seen. This guy is a dandy.  We watched it grow all summer starting with a feat of nature with just one big ol log landing perfectly balanced and sideways to the current. This guy grew so big that even a near flood event with the glacier spill didn't phase it a bit so I figure it's going to be around on the world famous for a while. Years ago Brian Lowe hauled a snag off the bottom of the river at Beaver Creek that was a waterlogged stump/tree with some of that Marston mat inter weaved....being in a very popular fishing hole it  had 300 pounds of sinkers on it, true story. So that's why I've awarded this guy the biggest 'floating ' snag award.
Here's a pic of it looking upriver, kinda pretty the whole scene I'd say. This new Moto G phone of mine takes a pretty good pic.
I can think of about 4 jillion things I'd rather do than stand at the main intersection in Soldotna Alaska and protest the NFL players. I stayed on the other side of the street during my walk and shot this pic so it's not so clear but this guy was just glaring at people in the weirdest way, almost angrily.
So I went and did the river walk and then cut through Soldotna Creek park on my way back to the intersection and low and behold in the 20 minutes I was gone it had collected this wonderful woman protesting the protester....Yikes, I think MP and I are about ready to find a smaller town.
Speaking of MP, she's home from Mooooontana and all is right with the world. With her came the first sunny nice weather we've had in 2 weeks. Here's the sunrise through the tree's at Mile 14, fall is gorgeous when it ain't raining.
I din't use the ol truck all the time she was gone but yesterday I had to hook up the guide boat and get it to Danny for new lower unit seals that I noticed were bad when I winterized. Well I guess I know not to park it in a bow done location....the bed liner held about 3 inches of rain....
And when I get to Mexico I wish I could find an identical rig to this one that was parked at Sportsman's Warehouse. My buddy Trucco had one and it's beach performance was amazing. It's so light it just floats over the soft stuff and it it were to get stuck it only takes a few guys to lift it and get unstuck...This one is perfectly Alaskanized.....man oh man she's just what I need.

1 comment:

  1. Just what you need............complete with rust!! BTW, In Alaska, don't they make bedliners so they drain?

    ReplyDelete