Tuesday, November 13, 2018

The Mechanical advantage

Let's get right to the fishin stuff eh ?  My regular readers know that I spent a year in mourning when I broke my Cablea's Fish Eagle 11 footer doing something Jethronian stupid. That rod was perfect for throwing long hours for up to 1  1/2 ounce as it was rated 1 - 3  ounce....which is hard to find with any length. It seems that all the rods rated for lighter lures are 10' or even just 9' , for distance length of the rod is everything, it's the mechanical advantage that comes with ' loading' the rod. Now that I'm not as strong as I used to be I really need more distance with less effort and 'Walla, thank you Trusty Hardware in Soldotna Alaska. They had this Rockaway Okuma 12 footer rated 1-4 ounce on season end sale and it's PERFECT. It's really a rod made for casting and not for the Halibut bait fishing that they do in Alaska chucking out a 8 ounce sinker to hold bottom in the tidal current of Cook Inlet. So you know me following the ' whats worth doing is worth overdoing' model I figured if I had to bring another bazooka rod case don't bring it with just one so if any of you Mazatlan guides need rods just holler...I got plenty.
My first morning to fish here in Mazatlan I did something I never do, I over slept. Yikes, that never happens but I did get my new rod rigged and ready so at sunset I made a tall orange and walked over to the jetty and on my third cast landed my first snapper of the 2018 season. Last year it took me 2 weeks to get an edible and this year it's ' duck soup ' as we say at Mile 14.
One of the business weirdisms here is that with some exceptions restaurants seem to come and go an awful lot. So MPeasy and I were impressed when we found this place that is all Mariscos for sure and a culinary report will be coming soon. They have absolutely every fish known to this part of the world and even a full sized alligator. I'd put more pics up but once again the technical staff is experiencing hyper slow internet and the pictures load soooooo slow that I'd miss out on all the pressing matters I need to attend to today.
Oh, oh,oh.....I got it !,,,Go into the settings on my cell phone camera and change the pixel settings so it can load faster with less data. I should have remembered why I use my first digital camera that is only 3 mega pixels when I take fishing photo's from my boat for Mile 14 on the world famous....I'll make a better blog entry real soon....so with just time for a couple pics, mmmm,mmmmm, I guess the weirdest thing I've seen so far is this.....
Even a boat guy like me has never seen a chromed anchor. I mean you gotta have some lettuce to want a gorgeous anchor. Gilberto said the guys at the marina were wondering what it cost to chrome an anchor and if anybody kinda snickered at the idea....well the beautiful people said 10,000 dollars and no. The Wine Down is home ported in Las Vegas, this guy is quite a mariner....you just breeze down Lake Mead and then a short portage or trip through the locks at Hoover Damn and then over night in Lake Havasu because you weren't making very good time when you had to take down all the antenna's to go under the bridge at Bullhead City.....then  pretty uneventful passage to the  Sea of Cortez and Walla, Mazatlan here we come. Welcome you guys , we'll see ya around town.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you found a rod you like. I dont know what I'd do if I broke mine rh dont build them anymore but cts will special order any of their blanks in 5 PC that I could get built elsewhere

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet that's expensive ... Wish you could have made it but this week the we surf is up and it's difficult

    ReplyDelete