Tuesday, November 6, 2018

The southern desk

Yup, the friendly staff here at Mile 14 is jumping the jet and will be in our Southern Bureau for the next 5 months or so. One of the unfair things in life is that you can get used to just about anything and as wonderful as fall is at Mile 14 of the Kenai River I don't have much to report, all quiet on the western front....except for the election that is. BUT, that will all change directly. I talked to Mazatlan yesterday and my semi reliable source Kenny says that the Roosterfish are really crashing the beach so you know me, hot pursuit to follow. I'll bet you an unguided fishing trip that I get one to post a pic of just like this guy from a few years back real soon.
Now you notice I have a knee brace on , that brings me to Pro Guide Tip # 4 : Accessorize with anything you have to do to get / stay / be healthy and active.... It's a hard job and hobbling around and complaining about your knee / back / shoulder / hip pain doesn't fit the image of a tough seasoned Alaska fishing guide. Never ever show weakness...SO, through the years here at Mile 14 we've created an inventory of just about everything you need when things get dicey. Here's pic of one drawers worth , and not only do I believe in compression braces I also have a huge variety of topical balms and depending on the ache or pain I use Thermacare heat pads, Caspacin, lidocane, aspercreme, arnica, naproxen, lagelty and marijuana or peyote cream...mmmmm....I might be a little hypochondriac, but I don't think so. And with all things in guiding you need redundancy, you have two knees so you need 5 knee braces, simple math.
Election day today so I'm just going to add this pic without statement, everybody knows where I stand. I took this on one of our walks , it was in front of a house in town that used to have an old boat with flowers growing in it for landscaping, that was cool but this is better.
I don't usually do this sort of thing but in retirement I'm feeling free as a bird...So for all my Alaska readers, PLEASE , get out and vote and Stand with Salmon and Vote YES on proposition #1. Without yet another long winded editorial I'll just say this...don't forget that When Frank the Bank came back to Alaska and decided to be Goverrnor ( wasn't it great the way he announced right after the election that he had no idea things were so bad so all his campaign promises were off the table ) one of the first things he did do was shut down the Habitat Division at the Alaska Dept. of Fish and Game. So that's from the right side of my brain, the left side tells me that all the $$$$$ that went into opposing Prop #1 tells you a lot....millions spent.....mmmmmm....so what are you guys planning that you can't just fill out a few forms and act like you care about one of the foundations of our State, Salmon...and oh by the way, they could use a little help right now.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Keith stopped by work today to drop off some much appreciated salmon fillets! I looked up Proposition #1 and it looks interesting. It is snowing here as Keith and I predicted your trip south to Mazatlan. Now I just have to convince hime that we should come down and visit you! Have a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks Dave...the $$$ prevailed and the habitat provision lost.

      I hope you're feeling better and get to the bottom of and then get fixed what ever is the deal with the seisures , you're in our thoughts.

      Delete