Tuesday, October 12, 2021

On Grieving

 

At 68 I've done my share. All of us on this trip around the sun are going to.  I had my intro at a very early age and up close and personal. It's natural , it's hard and I guess it has it's function...you never get used to sorrow.  Being a 100 % guy I've always worn my feelings on my shirt sleeve. I don't keep secrets well so I have to tell you that the passing of my friend Hobo Jim, Alaska's best friend really has me by the heart. For days now his songs have been ping ponging around in my brain and for all the times I told people if  I could wish a million bucks to somebody it would be him , I'm feeling stupid as I now know he never wanted  millions or he'd have it, he just wanted happiness for himself and all of us....and more time with him would have done that. Jim has a  way of making everybody feel special, he had zero enemies... how many of us are like that ?

I don't think you can love Alaska without loving Jim, he  is and always will be the spirit of Alaska. If any of you reading this don't know his music just YouTube his name or google him, better yet purchase some CD's off Amazon or where ever.  There is a Go Fund Me page to help his wife Cyndi , just seeing it and participating made me feel better . gofundme.com
I could tell Hobo stories...stomping a hole in the stage, our Park Ranger event, his fishing secrets...but I'll just leave it with him helping me. Right after we moved to Montana I published a video of myself singing a Hank Williams Jr. song and I said I was getting used to Montana.  Jim told me " Jeff, write that song " ....I'm going to Jim . It seems he and I shared some of life's adventures. We're the same age, went Alaska the same year , he loved fishing , music , people loving and something people don't really think about, he was about the hardest working guy I've ever met....a 100 % guy.  Here's how Jim Varsos  looked when I first met him.
I'm sure Cyndi doesn't read Mile 14 but I wish comfort for her and all of you / us / the world that's changed....And Jim, mucho gracias ,Thunder on Hobo Jim your spirit will last forever . gofundme.com




 

No comments:

Post a Comment