Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Everybody Loves a Parade...Dos

Remember that scene in 'The Fugitive' where Harrison Ford's character Dr. Richard Kimball eluded that bad guy Garrard by mixing in with the crowd at Chicago's St. Patty's Day Parade? Well this might not be Chicago or even Butte Montana but we have one just like them right here in River City...but smaller. Alot smaller.
In this first pic you can easily sense the excitement of the crowd. Like all parades the police clear the parade route and our car is driven by Soldotna Police officer John Whitehead. The rumor is that John is retiring and moving to Costa Rica and thats a great loss to our town. John was in on the manhunt at mile 14 and let me tell you, if you're a bad guy you don't want this particular cop after you.


Our first big score is this guy giving out free newspapers. Nobody can say Alaskans are cheap eh? As I get my paper I can tell theres more to come. Candy and lots of it. Not your unsugared healthy stuff either, this is the real deal. Tootsie rolls in green of course, tootsie pops, juicy fruit gum and gumy bears. And the guy throwing the most candy is our Mayor, what a guy. I don't know him personally but I figure that anybody who would take the time for a mid-winter parade and chuck M+M's into the crowd has got to be OK.


Its starting to look like the parade might be winding down when I spot my friend and legendary Irishman Mike Sweeney. Where else but in your home town does one of the biggest features of the parade yell "hey Jeff". I'm feeling good. Mike runs the clothing store here. In this era of big box stores he's found his way. A better community guy you can't meet and like John Whitehead our town is lucky to have him. So when you need the good stuff, tired of being cold and wet, go see my friend Mike.


So whats a parade without kids? Not much I'd say. Year after year these youngsters from K-Beach Elementry are in the parade. Right now its spring break and these 1st graders are the only ones here besides the Boy Scouts . Its says alot to me about their school . So, as far as I'm concerned K-Beach First Grade trumped them all, graduating seniors included. We're looking forward to good things from you guys 15 short years from now.


Now heres something you don't see every day. Its a modified car built for ice racing. Our friends Ralph and Roxy Mills were towing their racer and although the pic of them didn't turn out the racer did. This sport is a unique local deal and has a long history at the Decanter Inn in Kasilof. A track is plowed on the frozen lake and the cars have some drilling pipe welded around them to make them behave like the bumper cars from our childhood. Give the green flag and my friend Ralph is the master.....

This last pic I had to print large. I mean give me a break, its beautiful. Its almost spring, MP has a parade and her very most favorite candy....nice soft Dots. Erin go Bragh to you lads and lassies.

2 comments:

  1. I have a teacher friend up here who's from Nikiski; we were singing old Sweeney's commercials one day. Dad raced out at the Decanter one winter.... all this makes me miss home and my favorite uncle & aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...I know Mel...The ice racing is really cool. Your friends Jack and Suzzane Fisler are into it pretty good I think.

    When I watched Woody race on Arc Lake back in
    the 70's I figured they were going 100 mph. I don't think they were, but I bet it felt that fast.......

    ReplyDelete