Thursday, March 25, 2010

Thats Unusual

When I'm in Mexico I'm always looking for that thing thats different, the unusual. Of course seeings how its not our country those things are easier to come by than they are here in Alaska. But I got to thinking....A really free thinking guy should see the unusual in alot of routine things. I figured it just took a little whimsy, concentrate, remember how different Alaska seemed when you first arrived. So I went off looking for those things and the first thing I relized is that whats really unusual is that a guy like me in the prime of his life is spending the day looking for unusual things....mmmmm. Maybe I need a job.

What got me started on this topic was the scene above. I was getting gas at the local Qwik Stop and the sand bags caught my eye. at first I'm thinking, wow, not too long ago its was sandy beaches for me and now its sand bags. And thats when I spotted the Coronas in the window, it's an obvious message, I'm inspired. And holy moly, the firewood sign is a doublea bonus. I mean, do you really think that the average Qwik-Stop store in the rest of America sells traction sand and emergency firewood? Now thats unusual.

Our little town has 3 or 4 of these reader board Thermometer signs but this is the only one that really dials it in for you. They all add the minus when its super cold but these guys want to avoid all confusion. Its a rapidly growing community and I guess maybe theres some out there that might not be able to tell the difference between +22 and -22. Its only 44 degrees. I'm just hoping that when the dog days of summer hit and we're basking in the 20 hours of sunlight we get the sign will say +72. Now that will be unusual.

So its burning me up for days I'm stuck with....whats unusual here? where is it? What does it all mean? Thats when I spot the mural. MP actually ramroded this project when our kids were at this Elementary school in the 80's. She and her PTA cohorts led the kids through the process of design and then building and firing clay tiles to create this masterpiece. As you can see its got it all, bears, whales, caribou, eagles, moose, commercial fisherman and even us, a guy with a fishing rod right there on the 3rd panel from the right. How cool, and unusual.

So that got me going on the Art theme and I started thinking that Alaska must lead the country in Chainsaws per capita. It has to. This chainsaw art is everywhere. At the Soldotna Chamber is this characterture of my old friend Les Andersen who caught the biggest King Salmon in the history of the world. May 17th 1985, flame/chartruese spin and glo with yellow 30 pound Stren line in case you're wondering. Now c'mon, thats unusual. And right here at Mile 14 we have our very own 8 foot chainsaw salmon. Our friend John Iverson did this for us so that there would always be at least one salmon around the launch for people to take a pic of. Brilliant. Its saved my bacon many a day, thanks John.

As Jet and me were looking to get the pic of Johns huge salmon I came across this tree stump. A message in in what used to be a tree. That chainsaw is one amazing tool.

This poor moose made it to the front page of our local newspaper but I seen him first. I did, I did, I did, honest. It was friday night on Kobuk Street on our way to see Hobo Jims swan song. I've seen hundreds, no thousands of moose but this is the first one I've ever seen with his lunch box stuck to his head. Who ever is feeding this poor guy is probably the same guy that needs to know its +22 degrees out. . Never, ever feed the moose, period. We all know that. I know it looks bad but he seemed quite unbothered by it. I'd bet dollars to donuts that the first time he swims the river he'll lose the box. Something about that deal just ain't right. You survive an Alaskan winter , spring is in the air, you're moving to your calving grounds....with a lettuce box stuck on your head. DON'T feed the moose. But you gotta admit, thats unusual...




2 comments:

  1. I remember when MP and the kids make the mural at the school. My son Hollis was one of the kids. Well let MP know she must have influenced Hollis to grow up and help with another Alaska mural. This one was put on the NOAA Pacific Grove Science Center. Troll is the Alaska Artist and I have to brag that Hollis worked a summer to help with constuction of this piece of art . It Can be seen at http://swfsc.noaa.gov/pg-mural.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I went back to my pictures to check out the chainsaw salmon on the bragging pole and there it was, solidly attached to the top of the cross pole. It is in my 2002 pictures and it still looks pretty good. It is amazing what you see when you really look. Great post.

    ReplyDelete