Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Only in Alaska

I remember the first time I ever flew into LAX having the feeling that the city was endless. Well I had exactly the opposite of that feeling as we flew into Alaska Sunday on a bluebird clear day. I snapped this picture at about 10,000 feet over Turnagin arm so you can see what I mean. In the middle foreground is the tiny community of Hope and way off in the distance of the upper right hand corner is my home, Slowdotna. As I look down from the plane it would be easy to think about how cold and wild it all looks but I'm thinking 'man, I know this place'.When we arrive at the Gate I see this plane with a ' we're all pulling together' logo. Who wouldn't take a picture of that eh? As I walk through our recently completely Airport Terminal I'm taking pictures of the exquisite tile work so everyone can see what you can get for 3 billion dollars when my camera breaks. Lens error it says, its locked up busted, pow. But thats the way things are going for me, perfect really. If it had broke a couple weeks back I would have missed the illuminated Palm Tree or my last sunrise in Mazatlan. Timing is everything and with that I'm always lucky, lucky, lucky. We board Grants 12 seater Caravan for the flight to Kenai, I'm the last one on so I get to sit co-pilot. Keith the pilot tells me " don't touch anything", like I need to be told. C,mon.

Our taxi home is a 1990's vintage Cadilac that smells alot like my shirt does after Hobo Jim night at BJ's bar. Jet-dog is ecstatic and our house is sooooo clean that it clearly signals a last minute hustle to clean up job from Ronnie our house sitter. He did a great job, only missed watering one plant thats now petrefied in corner of our kitchen. And oh, the skim milk I bought at christmas is now yogurt....we're HOME baby.

So yesterday was a bit overwhelming for both MP and I. I had to straighten out the Borrough Sale tax office, I really did file I just forgot to check ' the box'. My boat insurance was canceled for not receiving the pictures they demanded in February and I had to go to the ACS office to get our cell phones re-activated, that deal is like being called to the Principals office at Catholic school if you know what I mean. And of course all this is going on in class 5 white out blizzard.

MP gets home at 4 and we decide to do one of our favorite things. Its movie time. We're not the 'wait till it comes out on video' types. We love the big screen and Jeff Bridges in Crazy Heart is on. Theres only 3 other couples at the movie and we know them all. As we wait for the previews we talk alot like neighbors do over the fence. Its not important stuff we talk about but the message is....its good to see you. The movie's fanastic, man the music is good. So when we get home I'm full of it. I set up the mic and turn on the amplifier, pour a nice glass of Merlot and ask MP " what do you want to hear " ? She says......" the television"......oh baby, we're home.

2 comments:

  1. Jeff,

    Great adventure! Just got out of the hospital on Saturday, had open heart surgery to repair an aneursym in my aorta. Besides breathing, coughing and laughing hurt like crazy. The last statement of your post did me no wonders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad its all done Dave. Hope you have a speedy recovery and can laugh pain free soon.

    ReplyDelete