Saturday, December 4, 2010

2011 Sure Fire Bets

For the last 20 years or so I've made pre season forecasts at the start of a new year to share with my friend Phil Shelton in Metropolis Illinois. Phil is an astute follower of politics and sports. He's also the guy who while fighting a large King Salmon in the early 1980's asked me if I ever knocked them off the line with the net. I told him " no, it never happens". He asked me that surely with all the fish we catch that we must screw up the net job every now and then. Well, I explained to him that yes, once a few years back I reached to far and got the net into the hook and the fish swam free.....to which Phil replied " yup, that was me, please don't do it again".

So in that spirit this year I'm going to share my prognostications with you all. Unlike some people who research statistics and schedules I use an uncanny technique I've developed through the years....favorite colors, favorite names and I love an underdog.

SuperBowl: Jets vrs. the Eagles. Jets win because they just love to be on TV.

BCS: Oregon. I just watched them guys on TV today and they are flat-plane ol-good. And besides, I have loved ones in Oregon.

NBA: An old fashioned Celtic-Laker match up. Celts win and Shaq stars. It'd be great a story wouldn't it?

Indy 500: An Andreti needs to win. either Marco or one of the other team members. Tony, Danica. ( see how I did that?....jumped my odds up by picking 3)

Daytona 500: Kyle Bush, Mr. personality.

World Series: Colorado Rockies....Mariner fans have been through alot of tuff seasons, but tell me, wasn't this last season the most painful ever???

NCAA: Gonzaga....just because I love that sound, it sings.

Best Movie Oscar: The Fighter

Other predictions: Jeff and MP will celebrate being married tha, tha, tha, thirty four years. Mucho King Salmon in 2011. MP finally grows a squash. Lotsa smiles here at Mile 14.

If you remember prior to leaving for Mexico last year I did a blog and pics of "The Pile" So as we're only a few weeks out now this pic is the Pile 2011 edition. I'm feeling a little like one of those border crossing mules you here about as I'm taking many items for my Mexican friends. Take a good look and you'll see what serious surf fisherman can't find in Mazatlan. Quality reels, lots of braised line, Mirrolures and my favorite lure of all time, the Roberts Ranger....Fish-on.

1 comment:

  1. Gee, many many many years ago, it was just a bobber, a hook and some nightcrawlers? We didn't have cell phones, GPS, computers, Ipods, just a good ole fishing rod. Darn fish must be more technologically up to date these years. Have a great trip to Mexico. Keep a Low low profile. Have a wonderful Christmas, and I need some fishing dates.

    Nate

    ReplyDelete