Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A walk through

Well Marci wants fish pictures from Mexico, we can do that....the picture I've had a little trouble with for her is the one where she's in guide boat #003 holding up a huge King Salmon. But we had a great toro bite two evenings ago and yesterday morning Team X did what the thespians call a 'walk through', we fished just hard enough to catch a few but not hard enough to hurt ourselves. The surf casting deal really is hard work, we earn these fish so with my shoulder just about healed we went kind of easy. This first pic is sun up at Black rock....off to the distance you can see the high rises of Nuevo Mazatlan.
Even though I'm prepared and brought  pounds of iron we're fishing the rocks and I really don't want to lose to much gear. Right off the bat I lost 3 jig heads with rubber swim fish and then I lost a nice new Krocidile spoon. So, my budget side kicked in and I put on a 2 ounce Lujon....yup, the same lure we used to snag reds when I was a kid because they cast like a bullet and walla,,,,on my third cast with it I caught this nice Black Snapper.
Slah figured it weighed 8 to 10 pounds. I've caught a few of them that were smaller on top water lures so I'm a pretty happy guy to have caught the biggest snapper of my beach fishing career on the 1st trip...if you ask me its a sign. I think this fish is actually what the book calls a Hounds Tooth Snapper, very good eating when matched with a nice bottle of Mexican Chardonay.

So heres a pic of me Ern and Slah....Team X was awful happy to be reunited and we actually spent a good part of the morning just talking and catching up and wrestlin in the sand a bit. I brought down team shirts but forgot to wear mine.
As I've mentioned before, Mazatlan runs on Pacifico Beer, the brewery is just down the street.  So here at our house this is how a case comes to you. A recycled box with 24  returnable only bottles delivered within 2 hours to your door for 190 pesos, about 15 dollars....We keep ours in the vegetable bin, a trick I learned from my old friend Bill Forrest.

1 comment:

  1. My heart is happy to see fishing pictures. Spent the morning getting my fix looking at blogs while Mike is plowing the drive. It has snowed for 2 days none stop. It will be nice to feel the sand soon . I'm visualizing that King picture and contemplating the hole I want you to guide me to. You and MP have a blast...Hasta pronto

    ReplyDelete