Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Timing is everything....but luck is good to.

The right place, at the right time, with hard work and the right gear... sometimes works, sometimes not. This morning found Team X a bit fractured, Ern and Jay went to 4th point and Slah and me and a new guy named Mike went far afield to Marmol. Slah is on injured reserve, his shoulder is as bad or worse as mine was when I first injured it several months back. I'm very concerned as he can't lift his arm over his head. My doc at home said go straight to the doctor if you have tingling, can see it deformed....or lose mobility, like Slah. So with Slah only coaching we're severely weakened as a team. Plus its low tide at Marmol and we know in this game distance is everything so theres only one thing to do to get out to where old slimey lives...its into the water.
Considering the situation I know I need to turn my game up a notch. Mike is new to the long cast and he's just not getting it there so wade and cast....2 full hours with just one bite and the loss of 3 metal lures. It becomes apparent that no matter how hard you try, you can't catch what isn't there. I'm wet up to my arm pits so I strip down a and get dried off with fresh clothes and we drive north towards Mazatlan. We get on the beach at Gringo point and our friend Ron is there without a bite. We continue on to 4th point and Ern has 3 Chata on the beach. He caught the last one 5 minutes ago. Mike and I rig as quick as possible and with about 3 casts in I catch a nice one...theres a school of corvina here. Within 15 minutes we have 4 on the beach and both Mike and I have missed a few, I lost  a really good one in the surf, a really good one. Mike is on fire and gets 3 of the 4, even with taking time to re tie.  And that fast its over....we're finally in the right place, the right time.
I have to tell you about my friend Jake Marquis and his bird abatement project at our building. MP says they' brewers blackbirds and we have hundreds...no thousands of them. Its interesting in that at dusk and dawn they perch in the wires to get that last and first bit of sun on them. In the evening they face the west and in the morning the east. Unfortunately they adopted our building, this is what the cars in the lot look like every morning...you can see those darn birds
So enter Jake, our buildings ambassador, poker expert and chief of special operations. I had my doubts with the success of the mission and knowing Jake I guess I shouldn't have. With several days of fireworks, camera flashes and the addition of this owl its problemo solved, I'm impressed.
Below is a pic of the problem so you'll know what Jake was up against. If you're squeamish around birds like my mother was this is not the place for you at sunset. But the guys who wash cars for a living have to be a little bummed, that industry moved down the street to new building.

So if you're in Alaska and need an excavator Jake Marquis at Knik Construction in Wasilla gets things done. I took this pic of him last July, as luck would have it he came down to fish and wouldn't ya know  it turned out to be the day after my emergency surgery, my good luck. I was rung out, way less than my usual energy charged fishing guide so with MP's prodding me to go to work and Jakes pitching in we had a great day....actually he did more than pitch in, he did everything, I was just kind of there. But, he caught a nice King, his friend Dubie's wife caught her biggest King so I'd say that catching 2 out of 3 and running on 7 cylinders was pretty darn impressive, that's Jake....thanks buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment