Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Can I borrow that Fish ?

That was the scene this morning as I put MP on AeroCalafia for the short commuter flight to Cabo San Lucas to see her mom. Our friend Tony offered to drive us as I wanted to make sure there were no complications for her, you think Flying in Alaska is an adventure, well, I asked her to take a lot of pics and I'll relay her experience. But I think the plane is ultra small, Tony says a hand start model like on The Great Waldo Pepper.  For a few weeks now every time a helicopter would fly over I'd wave at AeroCalafia. But she took it all in good humor and was looking forward to some time with her mom and a break from yours truly...I don't know why she looks forward to that part but she does.

So just as I'm getting home Slah calls...he's got that fish. The one I've needed for  the wall, the one I've needed to fill out the surf casters hat trick, the one I've had on my list of always evolving goals. A huge Robalo, is that baby gorgeous or what?
Suffering from a little sciatica I've taken a few days off and the team has been running on all cylinders without me. The last few days they've been at a new place and Erns convinced that he either hooked and lost that same fish or one just like it. These snook are real fighters and unlike most fish in the surf they jump and carry on. So tomorrow I'm all over it, sore back or not I'm casting the long rod. We do kind of have a code of honor with fishing, kind of...snapping a pic with someone else's fish is acceptable if you can take the ribbing....but having a mount made would be just tooooooo much.
The day I tweaked my back...Sunday I think....the days kind of blend together here...I managed to catch this fish while horsing around. I'd never seen it before and so I gave it to a local family and I could tell by their excitement that its a good fish. He called it Palmieato, a type of Pompano I think.

The next pic is our catch on Saturday...or was it Monday??...well anyway, I posted it to show you theres more to this deal than Corvina, Snapper and Robalo. We had quite a mix, a Corvina, a couple of boro or mulefish and a nice little ratone or ratfish I caught. You gotta be versatile.
But you don't want to be so versatile that you catch one of these baby's, it kind of slows down you progress. You can always tell new surf fisherman when they don't look left and right before casting because the pelicano is everywhere and he loves to skim above the waves right about half way through you casting range. But even the best sometimes lose focus and walla...a christmas turkey as Slah says. The first time I handled the Pelican it kind of freaked me out, but now knowing that their beak is weak, made for just closing and capturing, not chewing and ripping we just routinely perform a little outpatient surgery and recover the lures. I was wresting with one alone a few nights back and had him close up the bill on my arm...when I finally won the battle of the castmaster I had 2 appalled couples shaking their heads and stomping off down the beach. Hey, those lures cost up to 12 bucks, what are ya gonna do. So the final pic shows him healthy and happy, flying off to his destiny, no harm , no foul.

 Recently Mile 14 celebrated its 50,000 read with a cold Pacifico and what else...a fishing trip. Now its true that I've checked on my blog maybe 45,243 times but hey, that's still an impressive number. So I have thank all of you and I promise more to come, after all....we're partners, a team I'd say. Thanks again and my best thoughts to all of you.....JK

No comments:

Post a Comment