Sunday, February 19, 2012

Tiger Woods, Richie Valens and Bobby Flay

Kind of reminds you of Steve Williams and Tiger Woods eh? I bought that umbrella at the 5th ave Mall in Anchorage 10 years ago and it finally came in handy. While MP was in Cabo, 300 miles away here in Mazatlan we had 2 days of overcast with wind, a little rain and some spectacular thunder and lightning. The morning Ern took this shot the rain threatened to run us to the car and when you have the #1 long caster in Maz I figured we better find a way to keep him in the game...the bite was on.  We fished the rocks at a new place and although it cost some metal lures we had a good morning in action if not tangible results....in other words....we lost some really nice fish. Right off the bat I had a huge corvina spit it right on the beach which is the critical part,  pulling them up to gaff level with all the extra drag of their own weight on the hook. In this case its true what all fishermen generally think....the bigger one seem to get away more. Then Ernie hit a nitro powered funny car, it ran straight out 3minutes and broke the line, never seen that one. THEN, I hit a nice fish that fights a bit then is off...yikes...ever had your lure break?  
  But eventually, we all know the 3rd times the charm and I land a nice 9 pound Corvina. By now you've seen many a dead fish so here's a couple pics of what they look like at their final destination. A few weeks ago I reported about Jake, the straw that stirs the drink around here. Well, he set up a fish fry yesterday for our building and it was well attended and a ton of fun... We stuffed this guy with some onion and veggies and
some nice fresh spices and after 40 minutes on the grill ...walla.... We had fish done many different ways and I have to say that this guy stole the show. Just something about seeing ole slimey ready for the table eyeballs and I all I'd guess. When the feed was over my guitar playing buddy Brian was picking over the fish for the last few pieces of skin.

Speaking of music, Thursday night we had one of our guitar circles and had 50 people or so in attendance, the coolest thing happened. In the pic below you see our friend Steve who plays 12 string and a kind of retro soft rock/folk music, he's great. and next to him is our bartender Joses' son Jorge Velarde who is driven, who really, really, really wants to play and entertain. And this night was his first ever to play to a crowd. Jorge had 2 songs prepared and it was obvious he practiced and practiced.

Just a month or so ago I taught Jorge the scale and as he ran the store all day I'd hear it every time I walked by. Jorge has grown up and watched us play ever since we've been coming to this building and now he's with us, pretty cool. Welcome to a lifetime of discovering new sounds, making new friends, smiling, cryin and having at least one thing in your life that will never let you down Jorge...the music.

Theres a pic of me playing a little lead for Stevie. Now I really never thought I'd be playing much rhythm more less lead so I have to tell you that I couldn't be happier with the way my musics come a long. Music is something that shouldn't be a contest but I've met many a player who thought it was. So its kind of nice to finally arrived where I'm at...comfortable with at all. So this night I help and encourage Jorge and as the folks are really listening to the soft sound of Steve's 12 string, I just kind of stay out of it for a while and listen myself. But finally the crowd wants something a little more up tempo....so...Its my cover of Hobo Jim's Iditarod Song. Thanks for coming you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment