Monday, October 29, 2012

Hurricane Sandy

As I type this at 9:30 am Alaska Time my son Max and his girlfriend Skye are making a hasty retreat from the Hurricane . Over the weekend they attended a wedding in Conneticut and were scheduled to fly out of JFK this evening, well that's not happening so they were faced with two choices, sit tight in their motel or hit the road, which is what they're doing now. They've turned their rental car in at Danbury and have other friends from Minnesota that have a rented S.U.V. , the 4 of them are on the road headed west, if all goes right the 1200 miles should take them a full day and some. I hope that by this evening when Sandy hits the city they are well away maybe even close to Ohio...I'll up date this when we here from them but for now we've encouraged them to save their cell batteries so no news is good news I guess.

I'm not feeling good, I guess maybe its a healthy sign that you can love somebody so much that you can make yourself physically sick with worry. I wish I was as strong as MP that way, her head stays way more level than mine and she has this way of pointing out the practical. So lets all think positive thoughts for those young people....and all of the people in harms way today.

I'll update this....

At 2:00 pm Alaska Time MP talked with Max, they were driving through Williamsport PA. and it looks to me like they should be out of Pennsylvania by nightfall or there abouts. They are in a Large S.U.V. Max related that this morning as they left the seaboard the rain was torrential and it was hard to navigate but now the rain although bad is falling less.....they stopped for what he described as 'the best Philly Cheesecake sandwich anywhere"....thata boy Max.

7:30 am Alaska , Tuesday.....Max just left a phone message as we were at the health club. They drove all night and are back in Minneapolis with an adventure to relate. He said its amazing how fast 1200 miles can go by.

I'm tickled and releived. They made the right descision, if they had stayed on the East Coast who knows how long they would be waiting for a flight. And their timing was just right, if they had left any later it would have been more difficult than it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment