Monday, October 1, 2012

Nothings Forever

We've had our first 3 full days of clear and cold fall weather, you know, like they have in the rest of the world...and its been wonderful. The rains stopped and as you can see by today's USGS graph that the flood water is falling here at Mile 14 so all there is to do now is wait and see what everything looks like that's been submerged. We've got our fingers crossed that the boat launch surface is intact  and will just need some shoveling and some more gravel brought in rather than to be totally rebuilt. I hope , I hope , I hope. The red line on the graph is the official flood stage.  I decided to not put the boat to bed yet as I'm thinking that when they open the river to boating again it might be an opportunity for a 'marine salvage' trip...you know me, theres gotta be a good side to this deal and finding peoples floated away docks, garbage cans, buoy's, picnic tables...well that just might be it.

MP's home from Mooooo ntana, so all is right is Jeff's world. We celebrated her first night back with a real treat for me, a nice beef steak perfectly over cooked on the barbie as usual. ( I'm off the red meat )  barbecueing is one of my weaknesses, I'm no good . She had a great visit and helped her mom through a surgical procedure and then spent a few days in Seattle with Sam and her friend Janet Randa. Sam is off today for a business trip to Mexico City, its cool to see him doing well.

Last week Chris and Chris were down on business and we found enough time for a few laughs. The flood has the birds and everybody a little out of sorts but theres still plenty of protein sources around for those brave and hungry enough.
Here's a pic from our sand spit half way down the road. You've seen this picture many times here on the blog but this morning to see the big mountain after 2 weeks of rain I just had to click. We're used to rain and overcast, what my friend Ray Olson made up a phrase for 'mismal' but this last run of it was exceptional. We have a saying here, " if you can't see the mountains its raining, if you can see the mountains...its going to rain".  You can just make out the tip of Redoubt, dead center.
And just today I get a call that the "entire herd' was feeding in the field right across the road from my house. So I jumped on the Honda 4-wheeler and snapped this pic.  I kinda think its a small part of the entire herd but pretty cool all the same. I didn't really notice them feeding much so I figured it out right away...they were just laying around in the sun drying out, just like us.

No comments:

Post a Comment