Sunday, October 7, 2012

Last, First

That's the way life works, when something ends something else starts...thank goodness. Sometimes in life those things are hard to find and gut wrenching and other times they're just fun, it just doesn't mean much and that's the way we like here at Mile 14. So this weekend we had our last boat ride for the 2012 season and our first sauna of the 2013 season, moving on is something I'm good at.

The hydrologists consider the Kenai River a 'meandering stream' and let me tell you with the recent high water event it did some serious meandering. Cutting away weak banks and building strong ones is what a the living river does I guess. Our neighbor here has to be a bit chagrined that he lost so much bank, I kinda look at it this way, he still has it, its just in a different place.

Down at the sonar site on the high bank complete sections of trees fell into the river, some ending up 30 feet from shore....or ah, where shore used to be. I can just see  guide boat 003 anchored in the seam behind this new shoreline with a silver salmon tugging on the line. But it has to be painful for the effected property owners, they're so close to the edge now and with the trees gone their privacy is gone also. I can see houses up there that I didn't know were there, it' sad.
If any of you have dreamed of your own place on the world famous Kenai I'd bet you we could swing a pretty good deal on this place...I know a Realtor. Right next door to this my landlord in Mazatlan has a place and it looks to have survived just fine and all they'll have to do is shovel some silt out before they set up camp. I wonder if the For Sale sign came before or after the flood....mmmmmm.
This is not the way I take care of my boats but I guess alls well that ends well for this guy. Its setting in the same place as it always does right here at Big Eddy corner, its just a bit elevated. No worries, in the spring just lock the hubs in and go fishing.
For the last two weeks I've been worried sick for our salmon, wondering what the high water was doing to the adults as well as the juveniles. So heres a pic of MP with a 2 month old worn out-seagull wouldn't eat it humpy. I guess I kind of have a knack for common sense and seeing this fish relieved me greatly.  I figure if this fish could buck the current and end up just in the right place to bite here K-15 Kwikfish on October 6th 2012 then our robust and strong Kings and Silvers are doing just fine. I really do. And oh, I had a gorgeous silver hooked and started eating it to soon, it got off.
I'm not kiddin you....I know you're always be leery when you hear that, but, if theres 2 Bald Eagles on the lower Kenai right now theres 100, easy.  This place is amazing, here's a set of pics where I tried to line up nature for effect but I couldn't get that darn seal to cooperate. So its going to take two pics for you to see what was all within a few hundred feet of each other. It's enough to make me want to come back, for sure.
So that's a wrap on fishing the Kenai 2012. It wasn't what we're used to but it wasn't all bad either. We made some new friends some of which will be on my web page updates and we had a lot of fun. And ya know what, we caught old slimey pretty darn well to. So no worries, one "unusual" year isn't running anybody off here at Mile 14....In fact I'm so optimistic about the future I've been investing and improving our quality of life. Jimmy Johnsons Lowes sponsored Nascar Chevy say " never stop improveing", I like that.  So I'm in the gym, I'm on a diet, I'm reading non fiction, Matt Rigney's important book about one mans search for the last great fish  In Pursuit of Giants and just today I added a nice touch to the sauna....lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment