Wednesday, June 19, 2013

King fishing closed until July 1st

ADF+G announced it yesterday afternoon. They always post emergency orders and the sonar counts right at 4:55 and then head home for the night at 5:00....I wonder what that's all about. In any case the sonar counts have been terrible and I expect to them to also cancel the first commercial opening to protect what Kings are out there so politics dictates that they close us as well. I personally think the catch and release we are under does no harm what so ever, it's used all over the world as a use full management tool.

The good news is that July 1st starts a new management plan and it will re open with catch and keep. Then we just have to keep our fingers crossed and hope the 2nd run does better than the 1st. Of course I will update this blog as we go along. All of  you that are booked for July please...please....know that nothing has changed and if it does I will contact you immediately. And also please keep in mind that our August and September silver fishery remains the same as always.

This King salmon problem is all over Alaska. It's now obvious that somebody or something is getting them on the high sea's. I want ADF+G to succeed in their management, they've got to get off their duff's and find out what;s going on, it's their job...do it !  But instead I see us facing an entirely new dynamic and using all the old tools and all the old expectations. It has to be frustrating for ADF+G as chances are that part or all of the problem is with ocean fisheries that are managed by the Federal Government and they are just slower to respond and well....it's the feds, we all know how they operate. It's terrible.

So that's my short synopsis. Personally I'm just sick with seeing this thing we love so much, this thing I've dedicated my life to doing so poorly. I really hope that the early run King's 2013 is the bottom of it all and we'll rebuild from here on  out, it has to be....Sorry I didn't post any pictures here, not in the mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment