Thursday, June 20, 2013

Return to the Russian

With over 40 years of Alaska behind me I had only been to the famous Russian River once...in 1963 with my dad and a friend of my Uncle Rannals. I was the only kid they took and I remember so well winding along the Turnagin Arm in the middle of the nights twilight like we have this time of year. I remember casting a black and white Daredevil spoon and I  remember the clear coldness of the water ...and the sound. So this morning there I was again, so many years later and just as excited, that's the magic of fishing, it makes you young for a while. My friends Gordy and Dennis invited me up for a refresher course. Like most of my friends these days these guys started out as customers, they're Russian River experts and they showed me the way....Here's the scene at 4:30 this morning and a cool pic of Gordo sliding another red onto the stringer.
Naturally this river is famous for the abundance of Red Salmon that it returns year after year, decade after decade. But the story is really about the people. Being on the road system and being doublea hot fishing it attracts loads of people, good people, fishin people. I have to tell you that I've been a little bluesy lately so this morning was just what I needed, to be around people that are like me. I fished semi hard but mostly to watch and chat and have the fellowship that people like I us have. I stopped a lot and took pictures and I think I hit home run with this one. It really shows the story.
I don't know....I hear quite often about people being turned off by fishing with other folks, the 'combat fishing'. I just don't get it. All these people sharing , no problems, no worries, in a simply gorgeous location. We had some belly laughs and just plain fun. The 1st red I landed was hooked on the top the head, technically illegal. As I released it a guy says " that's close enough to the mouth for me" so I told him that I'm a guy who can't have any violations. He then said :oh, been caught before eh" ? Hows this next pic for a scene that's worth getting up at 3:00 am for ? Beautiful. That would be at the Russian River Ferry.
So the last pic is me with my 2 sockeyes. I could have fished harder and got my limit of 3 but that just didn't seem to be such a priority this morning. I just needed to feel good and I certainly did, you know what I say.....'it's impossible to worry and fish at the same time'. So thanks Denny and Gordy. Tonight we're having Pizza for the NBA championship and then fresh grilled pescado tomorrow. And oh....we'll see ya in the morning, I gotta do this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment