Monday, October 14, 2013

What I've noticed....

Well, that's a lot. Here in Montana people consider themselves 'northerners' and I guess they are, but it's soooo much different than Alaska that I can't just ruminate over it while I'm typing in this Internet cafĂ©.  For all you salmon people this will give you and idea....
Look familiar ? Yup, those are land locked salmon that look just like our sockeyes you view on the way to Anchorage. And they fit into a bucket a lot easier than ours. AND, here they seem to be just as thick so the snagging here is done legally with the leaded trebles we call 'moose river bullets'. It's amazing, my friend Tom Beneventi and I watched the crowd catch 20 or so in the 15 minutes we were at the Helena Valley regulating reservoir, pretty cool those guys loading up the smokers.
The vistas in eastern Montana are incredible, it's like being on the ocean or in the desert. I guess it is an ocean, an ocean of prairie grass, desolate and lonely just like the sea.
As we got close to Helena we get into the mountains and some of the little towns look to me like a place I could be. I don't think I could ever be a city guy again but maybe someday when we're to old to guide I could do a town like White Sulphur Springs where we found this wonderful place, just what we needed along the way.
Yesterday we had a big family get together, lots and lots of kids which I like real good. My brother and his wife Lisa drove down from Great Falls and even though we didn't have much time to visit we both found out all we needed to know for now....every body's just fine. It was the 10th anniversary of Jack's employment being the executive director of Benfis Hospitals satellite hospitals and clinics. He absolutely loves his work  and anybody who likes going to work everyday like I do is doing A.O.K. in my book, you know I appreciate passionate people. This ain't the best pic of him, my others are on the phone and I'm still figuring out how to get them to BlogSpot so here he is with MP. All I can say is I'm proud of you Jack....and always have been.
 
So when I get home on Wednesday and get my photo sizer working and go through all my pics I'll post some chuckly stuff. Montana has a lot going on, it might lead the nation in county Museums. So I've got a collection of the things I've noticed, deer, people, fish, landscapes and family.  Hope you come back to Mile 14, I gotta tell ya....I'm ready to get back there myself.



3 comments:

  1. Jeff,

    You probably already know that the landlocked sockeye's are called Kokanee Salmon. Popular in Western reservoirs, my uncle Jerry in Boise is really into catching them. Seems odd when you catch the ones on the Kenai vs the miniature version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I knew they were popular but what surprised me Dave is that they are identical to ours...except for one thing of course. Also the weird thing is that these get pumped up from the Missouri which makes me wonder why theres so many ? do they spawn ? where do they spawn ? and what the escapement goal.....hehe, just joking about that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well my uncle tells me that they are the actual sockeyes that somehow got trapped (or lost). The lack of feed that is in the ocean account for their small size. They are planted in a lot of reservoirs and do naturally reproduce. Like in July, they go up the streams and rivers like crazy. Google Kokanee once, you will be amazed!

      Delete