Sunday, February 9, 2014

A simple question

The other day a buddy asked me what I was up to. I said I wasn't really sure but then again there's 'not much' or just plain old 'nothin'....and that's when we got invited to tour the Pacifico Brewery, yahtzee, direction in my life AND I've had a nagging question about that place that I figured to get answered.  I always wondered how they get those chunks of key lime out of those recycled bottles that guys like me put there.

The first thing I noticed is that we finally found a place in Mexico that was germ/hair/dirt conscious. We had to wear shoes and pants, shirts with sleeves and hair nets with dust masks...it's the most clothes I've had on in 2 month. Here's MPeasy doing her cafeteria woman imitation.
Now I know a little about beer, I drank some once and I got a son who's a budding brewmeister. So I knew about the 'wort' and the hops and the rice and well, the best part was just seeing that some things are international. The apparatus was just like any sophisticated brewery and for once in my life I followed the rules and didn't take pictures. We finally ended up on the top floor of the brewery and overlooking the harbor the views were astounding. Here's MP and Miranda pointing out the highlights of our town.
One time I decided I could catch snook back in the harbor as I'd noticed all that mangrove forest when you fly in. I hired a panga boat to take me and my friend Vinny deep into the harbor at sun up and guess what.....the pollution was astounding. You can see the power plant in the next pic and with no air moving that morning as we navigated deeper and deeper into the harbor our eyes stung, the water got so thick it wouldn't make a wave. I don't have to worry about Vinny ever following my lead again, that's for sure....In fact that day after we left the harbor and anchored up in the cruise ship lane  he told me something I've heard a few times in my life..." there's something wrong with you". But it is a gorgeous harbor.
Finally we get a couple complimentary cerveza and boy howdy were they good and fresh. I had our host Evangalina pretty well warmed up by this time so she let me get a pic with her. I congratulated her on having the best job in Mazatlán.
And she gave me a gift and it just felt right so I added it to the wearable moe-joe I keep on my right arm. You guys that know me well know that I carry what I call my 'bones' in my pocket. They're a collection of things that feel right and connect me to certain people, events and feelings. The idea is that they protect me and it must be working. So now besides trinkets in my pocket I have these bracelets, sometimes it pays to have redundancy. A couple months back I was surf fishing and felt something float by my leg, so I fished the wood beads out and have had them on ever since. The hematite I bought from a friend 7 years ago and the black 'not even once' went on my arm at MP moms house in the early 2000's, it reminds me to work at being the guy I want to be. And now I'm a representative of Grupo Modelo, a walking talking billboard.
So with Evangalina and I getting along just right I ask the question....just how do you get those pieces of lime out of the bottles you recycle ?....Yikes ! I wasn't ready.  She said " you...are you the one who's been doing that ???" I got kinda contrite as she continued...." that's a huge problem for us, we have a man who works day and night removing those limes that thoughtless gringos put in the bottle"!!! " PLEASE don't do THAT again".....jeez, I won't Evangalina and thanks for the tour.

ON a side note... My friend Slah put the coolest video of our marlin trip on you tube. It shows the thousands of dolphins we encountered and even has audio of me, the fishin musician singing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGO95_Vjueo&feature=player_detailpage

No comments:

Post a Comment