Monday, February 24, 2014

It's the People


 
Of course the big news around here is that Chapo Guzman was caught right here in our hometown. Here's a pic of me in front of the Miramar where they nabbed him. He was hiding in plane sight just a few blocks from Police Headquarters.  In fact he was on the Malecon just a few blocks away from our dentist's office where we're headed in few hours. He was the most wanted cartel guy in the world and I guess the big question is....what does this mean for us and Mazatlán? It could be good or it could create another turf struggle for the position he gave up. But I'm betting on the opposite, I think it'll settle things down around here and make the other bad guys be a little more invisible... I sure hope so, this wonderful city needs to catch a break.
 
I blogged the building we live in the other day but the real story is the people. We have a communal kind of society here, the people are by and large a lot like us....people that need just a little more immersion in life.  Most of our friends are our age or older and I suppose some of you young people that follow this blog sometimes wish you could stay in Mexico for an extended time or purchase a beachfront condo....my advice is simple....don't get in a hurry. As much as I appreciate this wonderful life I've carved out if they arranged for me to go back and pound nails and watch my two boys learn the ways of the world as I chased King Salmon I think I'd have to trade time frames....but we can't, we won't, we just watch one sunrise, one sunset at a time....that's the deal.
Tony Mercuro there is my best friend in the building. We're a lot different but see the world in the same way. Tony talks of things, idea's, projects, the human condition.....he's about as interesting a guy that you'll ever meet. I took this pic this morning as he was reading on his deck. He's reading a book about the history and creation of the cotton industry, it follows cotton from antiquity until now. Yesterday he found some wild cotton (that MP says is a type called Kapok) and he spun it by hand into twine, I wouldn't be surprised by the time he finishes the books he has a sweater woven. Tony was with the Marines at the siege of Khe Sahn, two purple hearts and one golden heart....it's a privilege to be your friend Tone...
The other night we did a little entertaining, I decided to for go the amplification equipment and just sing to the crowd one table at a time. I've been playing with the P.A. system so much I guess I'd forgotten a bit about the intimacy and rawness of just letting the old guitar go, it was a great night. In the next pic I'm singing to my friends Ken and Mary and her mom Lorraine who is a legend here at the building...I want to be just like you when I grow up Lorraine.
The next pic is my next door neighbors, Jerry and Georgiana....the love meisters.  If  I ever write the final word on love these guys are chapter one. They stand so strong for each other, the openness, the caring and sharing,,,this wonderful pride they have in each other. They have a lot to teach the world and I just want them to know, I'm watching, I get it, I'm trying....And oh, did I mention that these guys know there country western music like I know fishing ???
The guy below is also a neighbor. Mack Lutz is the sports guy around here...if you want to know anything about the Vikings, the Twins or the Uof M Badgers...he's your guy. Mack swims daily in both the pool and the ocean, I call him Aquaman because....well ...he is....Mack had an illustrious college athletic career making him my pick for the Minnesota Hall of Fame.
 Then we have MP and Tony's wife Connie listening to a new song with Marge Hall who is in the best shape of any seventy year old woman on the planet. These three are simpatico, kindred spirits.
Here's a great pic of Roger and Rod who are married to sisters and best friends for sure. These guys fish and get around just about as good as any Mazatlán gringo I've ever met. They're a joy to have around...thanks General for keeping up troop morale.
This is a pic of Zuelamah who works the front desk on most night shifts when we're playing the songs for the bar. She's in her last year of college and intends to go to Law School...so good luck with that deal Zuelamah, it's always nice to have a lawyer on your rolodex....and thanks for being an ardent fan of the songs I sing.
These four guys are our local experts...if you run low on information around here these guys got the answers. Bill Turner has a roadhouse on the Alcan highway and jeez Bill, why'd we wait so long to meet ? I can actually envision that Esso station on the right side of the road at mile 190...wish we'd known you back in the day Bill. Ollie Hanson is one of the coolest and funniest guys I've ever met, he's the kind of guy that I look forward to growing old with. He's a retired fireman from Cranbrook B.C. not far from our old stomping grounds in Mooooontana. Glenn there is a master Chef and just an interesting guy, he cares about people and that goes a long way on my team....and Brian there is musician, enough said...I love that guy,
Phil Horak flipping those burgers there is kinda the straw that stirs the drink around here....in charge of 'special' projects, 'black op's'.  He takes care of all things gambling related and around here that's a big job, thanks buddy for it all, besides friendship....and those two gals are Donla Marquis and daughter Miranda, good Alaskans and wife /daughter of Mr. LaMarina, Jake Marquis who I just don't have a pic of ...but everyone knows him and everyone loves him.
When you hear people say that so and so never had a bad word to say about anybody it's usually not true. Well Barb and Jim Mullin are those people, the nicest most thoughtful folks I know. Here's a pic of them as they got back from a side trip to Mexico City. Jim has the most wonderful sense of humor and it's followed by a funny blink sometimes....hehehehe...
This is just a snapshot of the friends we've made here at LaMarina.....please don't be offended if I didn't mention you, just please know that we appreciate all of you. I'll still be taking pics and I'll sing about you, with you, too you, for you...with love anytime.




No comments:

Post a Comment