Monday, February 17, 2014

Our house

I guess when I tell people that we stay in a 'condo' in Mexico they imagine marble floors and granite counters....well, this is a great place but it's not that. What it is though is what the realtors always say....'location , location, location' and it's people, wonderful friends that we've met who I guess are a lot like us, people that need something else. So this blog is the concrete and mortar and the next will be the people, the most important part of course.

It's the oldest building on our part of the beach. Someone told me that it was designed so that the hurricane winds would blow through it and not into it. Unlike the new high rises here that are cylindrical or as Jimmy Buffet would say 'ugly and square, they don't belong there' our building has personality. Huge common areas with lush gardens and gorgeous flowers, we pick fresh banana's and papaya's right out the front door.
Below is the a pic of our casa and the view from it. We're an end unit on the ground floor ( I prefer to call it a 'garden suite') so we get an extra window and a few extra feet of space. Being on the ground level has it's advantages and disadvantages...no stairs or 40 year old elevator rides but we do have a few 'pets' that come with the unit...geckos, a few roaches, a few crickets and of course birds. Pretty cool.
On the far right of the picture above that walkway leads to a palapa that I'm typing this from. It's an absolute treat, sitting outside in shorts with some good Looney Bean coffee listening to the surf and communicating with you...all my friends. At night we hear the surf loudly, we eat breakfast every day on the patio, we had lobster by candlelight on Valentines day sitting outside, alone, just us.
 
 
We got our unit from our longtime landlords and friends Geri and Smitty Smith, good Alaskans. And like most Alaskans these guys are practical, this unit is furnished with the best stuff in the building. I told Smitty one time....'hell even our knives are sharp'.  It has everything and I mean everything you need in quality, it's plush but it's perfect....perfect for us. AND it has something that most our neighbors don't, an air conditioner that doubles as a heater for those rare mornings when you really need a few degrees. So mucho gracias  Geri and Smitty, the place is chingnon.  And how about our tree of life, handed paint by an artist I'm in love with.

Finally....finally the other morning I caught a roosterfish. I was blind casting the ranger lure just after sunrise when I saw the take and the fish was heavy...it ran, it resisted, it roled 100 yards out and I new...my first guyo in 3 years. I land him and there's nobody around to take my picture...and along with the fact that I forgot the camera put me in a predicament. I did the right thing and didn't kill it just so people could see...but I did hold him over my head and hollered at my friend Mario several hundred yards away and then gave him a big kiss and let him swim away. The next day a guy in the high rise on front of me said it was pretty cool to watch me handle ol slimey so reverently. Guess I've arrived in a comfortable place in my fishing life.....hows about a gorgeous sunset to end this blog? soon I'll blog our friends  neighbors, the hearts and soul of our Mexico lives....
 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment