Monday, June 2, 2014

A full day

When I was kid going to catholic high school my penance for 'disruptive behavior' was doing lawn work at the Priest's compound. So I was thinking about that today as I ran the mower executing dandelions for MP. I hated that duty and I'd do the crappiest job I could so father would eventually wear down and send me home...But today, that's a different story. I have my Pandora playing Texas swing in my ear buds with my hearing protection over them and a cold Corona standing by....man if they'd had Pandora when I was 15 who knows....I might have been even more disruptive.
If you live in Alaska I'd bet dollars to donuts you own a gun, or twenty. So I guess a prudent person would expect that just about everybody else does too. So why then does everybody have to let you know that they're 'insured' by Smith and Wesson.....mmmm..... I don't get it. But here's two pics I took right here in our neighborhood at Mile 14 of the Kenai River.
This morning I just had to get up and go fishing, had to. It's pretty much ritualistic for me. 4 am I'm up collecting my stuff as the coffee perks, I start the truck and let her warm up as it's crisp and cool. The drive through town is a cool part, it's just us fisherman. As I drive south past peoples places and spots I've known for years I think of how and why I got here...at this place in life. I park the truck and I'm the only person on the river, like they saved it for me. I get some layers on and of course my Xtra Tuff's and this is the pay off. I took his cell phone pic before my first cast.
 As I cast I could hear an eagle cackling and pretty soon he came and landed on that navigation aid. It was so quiet that I started whispering to myself...how strange.
I guess I was starting to get a bit melancholy so maybe it was a good thing when some folks showed up about 6 am. Sometimes when I get around my old stomping grounds I tend to think to much, get a bit reflective don't ya know. The cannery across from me is where I delivered clams for my first ever Alaskan hard earned dollar. The ocean in front of me has brought great thrills, huge catches and crippling heartache....
This was the scene at 6 am, just a few diehards. I cast and cast and cast and....a guy down river has splash in front of him and walla a fish on bank, a 'King' salmon. I wanted to take a pic as I was astounded with what followed but I didn't want to embarrass this guy. But his fish was small, I mean miniature as he pulled out a tape measure like it was an everyday part of your tackle. It was about then I said...." man, that's about the smallest King I've ever seen" to which he replied " yep, but not small enough"... what in the world???? It was 21 inches and if it had been 20 he could keep it and keep fishing so now he had a dilemma , let supper go and keep fishing or keep it and go home with 2 pounds of salmon at 6 am. Who would ever have thought as I grew up here chasing salmon the day would come that the 'lucky' fishermen catch small ones...
But finally as I was packing up the truck to leave and drinking my 5th cup of coffee I heard some commotion across from me and this guy landed the fish of the day for the half dozen fishermen present. It ain't huge either but I'd sure have loved to had that baby on the barbecue tonight. It's just how it goes....I get there first, I throw for three hours, he shows up and 10 minutes in has ol slimey. And ya know that's the fun, the allure, the magic of it all. Good for you buddy.
So once again I pitch a shut out. I kinda look at it like this...Every time I get skunked while fishing by myself it builds moe-joe for those who are going on guided trips with me. It's like I'm doing the work of bending the odds in your favor by not catching on my own....makes sense huh ??? So I might not have gotten a fish today but I got these two pictures here and that's enough for me....and you know why.... I love it all. Ever been close enough to an Eagle to smell him ???  Well, I have.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you got out fishing and that a few people were catching some Kings. Ship creek?

    ReplyDelete
  2. secret spot ...hehehe....not really. Ninilchik Thayne. rumor control has it that a few reds are getting caught here on the Kenai so I'm out the door right now to research. Stand by.

    ReplyDelete