Tuesday, June 17, 2014

I think my lips are tingling

I've had a bit of  cabin fever lately so it was pretty darn cool when I heard a knock on the door ( and anybody who knows Walt knows it was a loud knock) and my old friend Walt Larson was there. Walt has been gone from Alaska but he grew up in Anchor Point, we've been friends from the 70's.  Walt is about the most capable construction hound that I've ever met, he's a steady guy who's survived two bouts of cancer and as much has he's taught me about work, well, he's still teaching me about life.  Walt taught me how to sheetrock back in the 70's and we were a fine tuned machine together. We'd hang a 1300 sq. ft. FHA house in one day....and fight, tease, harass and joke all he way through it. I love this guy.
So we went clam digging....and if things around here weren't weird enough let me tell you, even the always abundant razor Clams are darn hard to find. But, the vistas, the fellowship and this fantastic marine environment on a bluebird day is awfully hard to beat.
I don't know what it is but I certainly don't want to confuse the ADF+G by asking any complex questions right now but the limit has been lowered to 25 and the area round Ninilchik has been closed. I suppose it's some ocean oscillations or decadel transfusions or maybe even the dreaded over escapement that we suffer through with our sockeye runs...but the bottom line is they're darn hard to find. We worked our butts off (which is a good thing)  just to get enough for dinner....the golf ball was a quality Titleist #1 so you can't complain about that.
So I carefully clean them (because we don't have much to waste) and we beer batter and deep fry them along with some seasoned Okra...and oh baby, it really is one of my favorite Alaska tastes. I can't tell you how many but through the years we've eaten tons of these guys, the first money I ever made in Alaska was commercial razor clamming...our supper was great but this next day is when it got a little weird....The Alaska Dispatch is reporting that a case of paralytic shellfish poisoning was reported from clams dug 1 1/2 mile south of Clam Gulch near the old tower...exactly where we were. Yikes. http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/20140616/probable-case-paralytic-shellfish-poisoning-reported-kenai-peninsulas-clam-gulch

In my forty years we've NEVER had a problem with those clams so I guess ADGF+G must take this pretty serious. The article says they're going down to get some clams to test for the poison.....mmmmm.....well I hope they're on their A game because I'm figuring they won't  find enough to test.  And oh.....if any of you guys at the Dept. read my blog here's a tip...wait for low tide to try and find your clams...there's a free book you can get to tell you when that is.

And Sunday Mike and Mary Coleman who have a place in our building in Mazatlán showed up for a visit. As always we were drawn to the river. We all shared a Corona as we checked on our friends,the critters that live along the way. Of course we see eagles and a moose, it was a bit windy and cold to go to the tidal zone and look for seals....but ya know what ?? I came home exhilarated , just happy to be out, I just love this place....even if my lips are tingling a bit...
 

1 comment:

  1. Hard to believe a limit of 25; certainly not the good old days! Bob and I found a place in Depoe Bay on the Oregon Coast that had amazing,fresh, perfectly fried razor clams. He'd never had them before! Just reading this makes me miss the Kenai.

    ReplyDelete