Sunday, June 22, 2014

Practice what you Preach



If sheer desire, if just preparation and passion could get things in life  I'd be out fishing now and we'd be having a great day. But, to quote a country song 'life just don't work that way'. I got to thinking about something I noticed in Mazatlán a few years back and below is the pic and quote from my January 26, 2012 posting titled ' Everyday Life'.
 


I stood in the same place and took the shot north and this one to the south. In the right of the frame you notice a fruit salesman, one of every body's favorites on the beach. He has melon, strawberry's, mandarins and my favorite, coconut with lots of the red peppery chili sauce. I watched him go, maybe a mile between potential sales. If I'm ever in his shoes I hope I can show the same strength, the same resolve, He didn't cause it, he can't fix it...he just does what he does, keep moving, keep trying, keep the faith.... I hope he knows some how that we notice, a guy true to himself.

Well I guess I'm kind of that guy. His life was upended by crime and the perception that Mazatlán is not safe. The cruise ships quit coming, so then the airline people quit coming...and well, all things he had no control of. For me it's the same, as much as we think that in America our lively hoods are up to us but sometimes we just can't....just can't. I'm trying very hard to not be angry about the current situation but that's so hard , it's getting worst by the day. EVERYBODY except sports people are harvesting, the commercial guys start tomorrow , and us, we don't even want to harvest, we'd just like to catch and release like sportsmen all over the world.

So I have to just hang on and trust, be strong and hope the folks running this show do the right things for us and the fish. July 1st is just around the corner and we will be fishing for sure and without some common sense here all the fish that swam by Mile 14 while we were closed will be available for harvest upriver...once again by somebody else and at the cost of our future.

But like the guy in the pic....I'm a 100% er so we just have to keep the faith.  I just wish every now and then in this convoluted world of Fish Politics,  desire, common sense and being right could prevail. That's all, that's what I wish.

3 comments:

  1. Keep the faith brother before you know it you'll be so busy you'll wish you had a day off. Oh that's right you fish for a living.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's simply amazing. The commercial guy catches a King, that fish is worth maybe $5.00/# and needs thousands of pounds to simply break even. A guide on the Kenai catches a King and if it's 40#'s, it's value is 10X that considering the cost to arrive (air and car), hire the guide, lodging, gas, and money spent. The whole community benefits. Sure, the commercial people have jobs, the canneries have jobs but the majority of the end value of a can of King salmon is never even spent on the Kenai.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's stunning Dave. The C+R part is just craziness. All over the world ( I'll bet you've released 5 times as many fish as you've ever kept) sports people practice C+R when fisheries need protection. But.....thanks for the input fisherman to fisherman.

    ReplyDelete