Friday, January 9, 2015

whats right with the world

As I sit here typing on Friday morning after my usual stroll with a pole in the back ground I hear CNN reporting on the terror in France,,,,sometimes I get this weird feeling, like I'm embarrassed to be a human being. How in world can people treat other people like this ? I always think in my life that if they were here with all I do I want my parents proud...what of these people's parents ? where were they??? or are they as evil and cruel and selfish and....I just don't get it. But I guess my job is what's right with the world...So here's a doublea pic of my favorite look see spot in my town of Mazatlan Mexico. It took some lettuce and certainly some effort to build this thing so it's good to know that others think like I do, it's worth it for sure.
We left our house at 8 am and took the Sabalo Centro to the end of the run and then walked the big hills into Olas Altas. A spectacular hike as you can see, After and hour hike we had a light breakfeast and then smelled our way to the bakery where I took this pic of a couple wonderful girls buying our daily bread....I think I'm getting kinda good at this pic taking deal, there's lots of unusual out there to find.
As you can imagine we eat loads of fish. In fact tonight we'll have a robalo I caught cooked entero (deep fried whole). And we get tons of shrimp and lobster but one thing you don't see much of here are clams. So when we were at the Juarez Market on Sunday morning I remember my friend Rick having told me of these wonderful clams that are only sold at the Market and only by one vendor so I searched her out and boy howdy were those good. Much like our steamers we cooked them in a white wine / garlic /cilantro / sea salt brine.....wow. Being Mexico a lot of people would be scared of the clams with the paralytic shellfish thing they all scare you with in the states but me and MPeasy, well we figure if you scaredy chicken you'll miss a lot of life. So, bon appetite. Here's apic of the market scene and our clam connection...going to get more day after tomorrow.

When I was a kid I hated coconut. It was dry and just didn't do anything for the chocolate my mom sprinkled it on. Then I got to Alaska and would see those orbital brown coco's with the dry white meat and I'd wonder what in the heck people do with that . So here we found coco's helados....fresca. We order them everywhere for about a buck and a half. First you drink the sweet juice then slice the top off and with a sharpened spoon scrape out the meant that is soft, moist and oh soooo good. Here's a pic of me with one I opened here at the house. Gilberto the water taxi pilot gave it to me as a present. He likes me, calls me 'Peter'....the fisherman.
Of course I fish every morning and most afternoons. So after the run in my toe had with the earth I've been wearing these water socks that the Ernesto gave me. I might not be the smartest guy around but I'm smart enough to know that if I went on injured reserve twice in one season due to foot injuries I could get cut from Shark Team X...don't need that.
I took this pic of a Toro the other morning so all my team mates could see what to keep an eye out for. I had a Mirro Lure just like that one stolen from me about four days ago out front of the Torres Mazatlan. Admittedly I'd been lazy and had  not retied my leader and then the darn fish which just had to be a 20 pound Robalo got kinda stuck on that rocky shelf where they like to live and the line parted and off goes the fish, my 12 dollar lure and my good humor....that one bothered me. So Team X mates.....if the next huge Robalo you catch has that Mirro in it at least, at least let me have the lure...and maybe even the one he bites on, OK ????
So with my Robalo obsession simmering real good I decide to hike the beach yesterday evening at low tide. I can see some birds on the sardines which of course means toro but they're just to far out and with low tide I have to burn the lure over the rocks to keep from losing it. It's really a pretty hopeless effort but if nothing else I'm tenacious...or maybe just dumb but I gotta do something ya know. Well, I'm burning the castmaster at Mach speed over the rocks and I see and then feel the fish. He jumps, he runs and there's no doubt what he is....first he's a miracle, second he's a Robalo and third he's even a pretty nice one. WALLA,
So stand by, I'm feeling a little momentum and tomorrow we're going to where they live so I just might finally get Walter. I'll let ya know real soon.....

,

5 comments:

  1. OK, Robalo, Toro....either you told me and I forgot or not, I still look at these fish and say, ya know to us snowbirds they look like snook and Jack Crevalle. Well I guess I wasn't to far off! http://www.mexfish.com/mexico/

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are correct-a-mundo.....those are the local names. The snook is really a fascinating fish. It's on both sides of the continent and here it likes rocks and in Florida mangroves

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you could try using an f14 to burn over the rocks. I offered you one to use last year maybe you would take one this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yup....coulda used a f14...bet your getting anxious to get here eh?

    ReplyDelete