Monday, January 18, 2016

Night of the Iguana

When you come to Puerto Vallarta you hear an awful lot about that movie and what a good movie it was. I just  just hope that we in Alaska never get to the same point where people tell you ' this is where the TV show Alaska Bush People was filmed. Here's a selfie of me and MPeasy right in front of the beachfront casa where Liz Taylor and Richard Burton fell in love...really run down. In fact I'll print a pic of Mismoyla beach and bridge and you see that's bit over used as well.
It's about 10 in the morning and Mismolya is just waking up and it's pretty obvious that the places to eat there aren't places we're going to eat at. So luckily we run into a helpful young man who shows us a short cut through the jungle ( which took a real leap of faith) and told that the next stop to a wonderfully remote little town and harbor named Boca was just a 20 minute walk away.....well, an hour and a half later we're still walking and MP and I agreed that we set an all time endurance record that day with an easy 10 miles hiked. But we finally walk up on the gorgeous view of Boca and better yet a store with 12 peso Corona's of which I had 3...I don't mind telling you that when I saw the sight below I was a bit relieved....did I ever tell you about the time I got us lost in the desert ???? well, I was having deja vue.
They have it going on in Boca. We sat and watched boat after boat load up citizens and head off to secluded bays like Boca for lunch or swimming or whatever. They guy running this business has life figured out, I'm just glad I don't have to compete with him on the Kenai River.
It was actually a good thing that we got twisted around a bit on the Boca trip because the next day we were taking the bus even farther south to the Botanical Gardens and we learned a lot about the buses and the area and what not to do....like take off walking through the jungle. Here's my favorite horti- culturist in her natural element.
It's a strange married life dynamic that I think all men share when they find themselves in a place like this and you feel like you're kinda taking one for the team and then you silently find out that you are actually enjoying the place but the last thing you need to do is let the rest of the team know that,,,,kipeesh ?...So we wondered and even wandered around, these flowers were so brilliant they look like they'd been waxed or shined up or something.
They had a 45 minute hike down to the river and although my legs were  rubber from the day before we stumbled down to this beautiful setting. I didn't know what to do....start whistling the River Kwai song or get out my fly rod. It was absolutely one of the prettiest places I've been on the planet earth....
What would a jungle be without some birds cackling and monkeys screeching and snakes slithering and,,,,,well we didn't have any of that but I did get this pic of our favorite bird the Stellar Jays cousin the San Blas Jay.
PV is just a whole different vibe than Mazatlan and we liked it well enough but Maz is more our style. PV is way more touristy and commercial, they even have happy signs on the ATM machines to inspire you to spend....one machine says hello to your money, the next one good bye.
Part of the vibe in PV comes from it's well known gay and lesbian community. I guess we must be out of touch because the only swingers we noticed were these.
I also have to say that the sunsets in Mazatlan are way more dramatic. Here the sun falls directly over the horizon from us and then the light bounces around for an hour. In PV it sets to the south and just like Alaska you got those darn mountains in the way.  But with many years of practice and thanks to the digital age of cameras that has allowed me to take  5,742 sunset photo's I think I finally have the ultimate sunset pic. I have friends who can do this stuff by using all those buttons on the camera but me....I use the ' intelligent auto' mode. That pic has all it takes, a mountain, a tree, a cloud, an ocean and of course a star...magic.
So I'll leave you with just a pic of yours truly, Kenai guide #003 relaxing on  a beach lounger. I had just had breakfast with the most wonderful lady at an authentic restaurant where she had this pic of Al Pacino on the wall with all her other real Mexican stuff. I was sitting there wondering why she had it and what it meant and well it wasn't really all that hard to figure out....she just liked it and so did I and that's just how simple this whole show is...Like it = smile at it = remember it = memories = life = continue.......


No comments:

Post a Comment