Monday, November 14, 2016

Let's talk ahhhh;;;;;maybe.....I know, fishing

There I am with my first consumable of the 2016 /17 season. These Cocanoco get really big and my goal this year is 15 or 20 pounder but I have to say my first nice fish of the year is the biggest snapper I've ever caught from shore. In past years you've seen the nice Corvina and Robalo that Team X has caught off the unique rocks at the Holiday Inn so I went there with the high tide last week and walla. It was really fun, I had 20 or 30 kids sitting on the sea wall and they all cheered when I landed it and then boo- ed when I dispatched it with a rock.  Before all was said and done this guy turned into the most photographed fish in Mazatlan as everybody wanted a pic...very cool.

So having caught this guy I suggested to my friend Bob that we be there the next morning as I really hadn't fished very hard to catch him and I figured we were onto it.....nope, nada..... But as Bob and I headed up to the beach to go home we come across my friend Jesus and what's he got on the line ???? you guessed it, about a 35 pound Rooster fish. Jesus had it real close to shore and I figured it was on it's way to the fillet table when we hear 'ker snap', busted line, the fish wins. Jesus just smiled and gave me a high five and then went for another lure. Here's a pic of him with it on and if you enlarge the 2nd photo you can see the Guyo in the lower left pretty darn good.
Only once before have I seen so many roosters crashing bait. The water would explode at my feet with hundreds of little fish trying to get away while the Roosters literally momentarily would get beached, Many times they had 1/2 there bodies out of the water.....the problem is that when they're in this attack mode they are almost impossible to catch because they know real from plastic. I had one on that hit a white topwater but he spit and that's as close as we came. When the dust settled I was wishing Id dropped the rod and taken a video for you, it was crazy....way worth the price of admission. Here's the bait they're on, it's not their usual meal of mullet so if any of you know what that is please holler, I'd like to know.
The Rooster fish are all over Mazatlan, the water's warm so I expect to catch a good one real soon. It's identical to this guy I caught yesterday but a little larger....aren't they just the most gorgeous creatures ?
Every boat fisherman knows that getting wet is a bad bad deal, But, if you fish the surf you better enjoy the elements. This morning it was good for surfers but kinda bad for fishermen, I took several ' over the bow' as we say. Sometimes the natural rhythm of the fishing keeps you away but other times you look up and ooooooooohhhhhh noooooo, just try to stay in one place so you don't get knocked down and smile through it.....that's what I do.
I gotta get done with this blog because it's headed towards sunset and we don't miss those babies. Most nights there's 3 of us now that fish Toro and celebrate the end of the day. Here's a pic of my buddy Bob with a typical Toro. It hasn't been red hot but each evening we catch 10 or so between us.
And here's my friend Dave the Bum , the 3rd member of our nightly ritual. He's got one on the beach and as you can see he's posed a fish or two in his life.

1 comment:

  1. Damn!!!! I have feeling this wasn't the first time you've been booed!! Maybe that baitfish is a young Yellowtail..............duh:-)

    Sorry, this is my fishing drought time, I get a little shnarky!

    ReplyDelete