Friday, February 5, 2010

OK, OK, more Fish

This is a pic of my friend Tony with his first Rooster. There must be something to this deal as Tony is about as hooked on these fish as I am and its no wonder, this fish was more exciting than the last Minnesota Viking football game. I mean it was plain heart throbbing exciting.

Me and Tone got to what we're call RoosterVille at sun up, about 6:15. We rig our rods at the car because I've found that if I wait and do it on the beach and happen to see the roosters I get so excited I can't tie a not. So being ready we walk up to the surf and not seeing the fish we make a few casts and kind of practice to make sure we're ready....Then its like poetry, everything fits and happens perfect. We see the roosters pretty far offshore and as I load the cannon they work right towards us. They have a bunch of mullet on the surface and those poor guys are frantic to get away, the school of fish numbers maybe 10 or 15. So me having the longer cast when they're in range I fire hard. Duck hook. I miss them by an easy 50 feet. Jeeeeeez. Tony's cool, he waits and casts right into them only 40 or 50 feet from shore. I see the rooster splash and Tones hooked up and saying " I think he's gonna take all my line". I retrieve my wasted cast as fast as I can and when I'm set the school is still there. Being that kind of guy I tell Tony who's fish has run right out in front of me " I'm casting over you man...I gotta". He says OK. Yup, no fish and now I'm tangled with Tony on his first Rooster ever. What a jerk. But I cut the line and we make sense of it all and after 15 minutes Tone lands this fish. I snap a couple pics and Tone carefully lets the guyo swim off. I'm like doublea impressed, not just with his fishing but his thoughtfullness to let it go. I gurantee you, the first one I caught had to die. I got a new fishing partner.
Don't think thats the same fish, I know it looks identical. But. The next day we have the fever bad, in fact I think my newest fishing team member Tony is the only guy I've ever met with more passion than me. Thats cool. This fish was way different. We fished and fished when all of a sudden the birds show up signaling a school of Toro chasing sardines. I changed to my metal lure to catch a Toro and so did Tony and we caught a couple but we both agreed something was weird as we were seeing big splashes. So I put the Ranger back on and watched this fish crash the bait at the very extent of my cast. I burn the Ranger in fast and even though I see him chasing I have to keep reeling so he doesn't get a good look. A couple times I felt him bite and just not get then hook and finally after what seemed like a decade he bit hard. I mean HARD. Tony snapped the shots and we went back to the buiding where we are slowly but surely creating a Rooster Hunters INC. Just the other day me , Slah and Ernesto ( I'll get a pic of my buddy Ernie soon, he's lean , mean..well , you know the rest) were out at Black Rock hoping for Corvina. Those darn things just don't seem to be around and we cast our butts off for several hours just to make sure. The surf is kind of big and the beach steep so the 'surfcasters dance' is alot . In fact the waves aren't bad as you see them but the one that will knock you down is when its gone past and hits you from behind. And low and behold, just a few feet from me the surf threw me this little guy. No hook, no net, just plain simple moe-joe, a favor from the fish boss. I know it wasn't much but it was way more than anybody else did so for the first time this year I got the silver star on my report card. I crushed em. In the backgorund of this pic you 'll see a pneaumatico going off to work. Hard working men those guys.


1 comment:

  1. The Rooster Jeff is holding is a BEAST! Your's isn't too shabby either Jeff!

    ReplyDelete