Saturday, March 31, 2012

Hang in there neighbor, its almost spring

That's all I can think when I see the pitiful state of our moose that have survived (so far) this winter. It has to have been one of the toughest winters for them ever on record. They seem to be everywhere right now and a lot of them aren't moving far like this guy who has adopted the grassy snow less area under our roof eves.  He's been with us now for about a week. The snow is going fast, its getting up into the 40's but theres so much of it that its sticky and almost impossible for them to walk and forage in...if they could find fresh feed. Of course its mother nature at work and enough will survive to carry on the herd but its just sad to see such a big part of our community in such dire straits. This moose here looks like he could die anytime so I've been keeping an eye on him so when he looks to be a about to leave the planet I might be able to coax him into the woods, away from our house. I guess maybe its only us Alaskans who have ever had to really think about how to deal with a 600 pound fatality in your yard, I hope I don't have to. In this case its tempting to help him out with some veggies and maybe some hay but everyone says that's a big mistake as well as  illegal. Even though our moose is in bad shape he seems way healthier than this one who HAS been  fed at the Fred Meyer store. He's lost his will and just sits there day after day waiting for more hay. I guess the lesson is that if you do feed them....keep feeding them.

As you can see he's stripped the bark off all the decorative pine trees, I kind of doubt its very nutritious. But all over the peninsula the alders, birch and willow trees look like the next pic. The one nice big willow tree that protects our boat launch on the upriver side is toast...But, it was us who built our town in the middle of their wintering grounds so I guess its part of the deal.

Our moose  comes to the house then goes and lays in the woods at what we call the overlook. I think even Jet knows that this animal needs to conserve its strength because she acts like having him around is an everyday affair, and I guess it is. So I'm just hoping we don't have another cold spell and most all of the ones I see make it. They really are cool and a big part of what I do, we love to see them swim and graze along the river. That's usually a common occurrence, a cool side bar to a wonderful outdoor experience. Me and my human neighbors are doing all we can to not stress them any further, give them the right of way, slow down when they're on the road so they won't run or slip. We take our snow shoes and make trails away from the house and into areas with a little bit of willow or young birch for them, its about all we can do. I think all the people around here feel like I do, we're rooting for the moose.

No comments:

Post a Comment