Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Similares

I remember a blog I wrote  when we first arrived in Mexico a couple years back, 'the world is not all the same' or something like that. Well, I had that same feeling when we touched down in Anchorage the other day. This is an extreme place with extreme people, like Mexico it takes a certain type. Like this guy who's checked luggage on a Penn Air flight to Kaltag included this scoop shovel. I asked him for the pic and he was more than happy to oblige, this wasn't your basic scoop shovel, aluminum scoop with an aluminum, handle and a graphite composite shaft. Who knows, in Kaltag that would make a pretty darn nice gift. 
The rest of his luggage included a Little Buddy Heater that needs no more explanation and two cases of motor oil...for airplanes. So these guys were in good humor headed home to Kaltag and I was too, going home to another place that's easy to find interesting.

MP and I got to wandering around the Ted Stevens International  Airport which is a shrine to what legislative power can do, you , me, Max, Sam, Aunt Paula and Shaquile O'neil spent some lettuce on this place. Where else in the world would you see wild animals cruising through the escalators?  I think that's a Musk Ox, must be.... The next pic I'm printing big because this area of the airport is just gorgeous. You've heard of the 'bridge to no where', well this is the hallway to no where. Its the tunnel to the  Bill Sheffield Railway Depot that's never seen a train, well at least not many. The good news is that they rent it out for parties. Its closed but the hallway is open because its just to darn cool.... and us travelers always need to kill some time. The pics on the wall of the hall....(pretty good eh) are time lapse photos of the airport as it grew.
So I guess that's what Mexico and Alaska have in common for the guy that's looking for the unusual, lots of opportunity. The next pic I'm printing large as well so you get the entire effect. Now in America we might have one mannequin figure with a sign that says ' many colors available' but the place that I love just shows you. How cool. The bus was coming and I kinda wanted this shot or better and there were lots of people standing in my shot....well, you know me, no guts no glory, I kinda asked some people to kinda move....just like in America the guys thought it was funny and the women gave me THAT look,  but a few giggled.
Some things just jump out at you like this next pic. Mazatlan is full of perfectly groomed trees, and some of them even square. But this one here was by far the biggest, the squarest, the weirdest tree I've ever seen. For us in Alaska who cut + clear / drive by / heat with...trees, this pampered example is outstanding, But I'm not a dumb guy, its got a lot to do with shade for the people,...I think.


And you know I'm soft on VW's. So when I saw this VW limo I just had to make the pic. It kinda tells my story, I've owned a couple bugs and now I'm moving around and need something bigger, I'm kinda headed towards full circle and some day soon I'm buying that bug or something symbolic like it. I guess you're always at home when you notice and enjoy the marvels of where ever you are.... Mile 14, Mazatlan Mexico.....its really so similar if you ask me............

1 comment: