Monday, December 3, 2012

What gardeners do in the winter

I don't know why it took the mad mower 35 winters in Alaska to figure out that she could play with water but she finally got it. And, if you play with water when its been below zero for two weeks every day you can make shapes and textures and colors and....well you can get them old creative juices just a flowin...for about 5 minute intervals in between when you come in to warm  up your hands.
It starts like this. If ya want a globe, balloons. If ya want a dent, a Pacifico beer cup. Notice  I'm taking the pics through the window....
Now you'd think freezing water would be simple eh? Well, try freezing it in a geometrical form. The outside freezes and seems to insulate the inside and when you think its frozen you're astounded that after a full day at -10 the inside is still liquid ....but the good news is  that the law of unintended results delivers you some nice cracks and 'texture' as the artist would say .
Then after 3 days of freezing your hands, creating a hip breaker ice layer on the porch and leaving the door open during the football game.....walla....art. One of us suggested we pile them up in a pyramid shape, oooopssss...art has to be random and spontaneous. I forgot.
So.....if any of you have a little cabin fever just play with water, its great....or you could go to........
So Lisa, when we leave go ahead and illuminate the house, its sooooo christmasy. And  warn everybody about that #$$%&&*$  spilled water....I mean art... safety is no accident.

You know, I joke. Its one of the many things I love about somebody and ya know what ? I guess we're in the Christmas spirit here at Mile 14.

6 comments:

  1. one question. 1) what did MP use for coloring? I can't get kool aid or food coloring to freeze. it separates out and the ice freezes with only the slightest hint of color.
    and now I'm going to have to make more-but balloons this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MP says that is a problem. She uses food color and puts in the balloons before the water. For some reason the red doesn't work very well but the blue and green did....Maybe its just colder over here Lori...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hah, I'll try more blue and green, less red. and just let the balloons freeze solid. my luminaries I pour out the center liquid water, before they freeze solid, creating the place for the candle. the thinly frozen bottom becomes the top and hot water helps me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're dialed in. Isn't it amazing that it takes so long to freeze all the way through? I'm going to pass that idea of luminaries on to MP. On my next bog I'll post a luminary pic from Christmas past

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a great blog, i really enjoyed reading this, good luck in your work. Freshwater Fish Mounts

    ReplyDelete