Thursday, September 26, 2013

It's a wrap

When your boat seat looks like this first thing in the morning mother nature is trying to to tell you something, .maybe winter's coming eh? I always say that I've never met a party that didn't end and this one is there, game over. And it's to darn bad because we still have a pretty darn good run of silvers in the river, remember a big run starts sooner and ends later and that's what we have going on here.
As it got light the other morning here's the pic I promised. The fog laying on the river and the only thing warm for a 1/4 mile is that Yamaha outboard, although it did 10 minutes to defrost the water pump.
But actually it's not the cold that's putting the 2013 season to bed, it's this finicky darn river. She just wouldn't give us a break. Over the weekend the emergency management people announced that the Skilak Glacier was dumping and sure enough we started seeing it some on Tuesday and a yesterday as we fished the water turned from a gorgeous turquoise to a chalky green/brown.  Keith texted me from the middle river on my new I phone to say that they were canceling the trip, to dangerous....the water is heading our way. Here's the graph. Impressive eh?
But the fishing has held marvelously. Here's our friends Deb Germano from Mazatlan with Jim Bennett and her brother Sam and nephew Sam. Do they look cold? It was right at freezing with about a 20 mph wind blowing right up the hole as we say, straight up the river and no place to tuck away and get out of the wind. So ol Sam earned these salmon for sure.
And yesterday as the upcoming flood announced itself we worked hard and had a pretty darn good day I'd say for the 25th of September. Dave, Mike and Amanda here are a flight crew for a private Jet. They fly a Falcon 2000 and get in some fun adventures as they lay up at exotic places all over the world. So thanks for coming you guys and enjoy that salmon.
So you know me, one adventure ends a new one begins. So come back next week and me and Mpeasy will be road tripping, my first real visit to the 48 in a few years. I'll betchya I'll have some interesting views , Alaskan in the real world. And for all of you that followed Mile 14 through another season, Thanks ! Soon we'll be in Mooontana,  Minnesooota, then Mexico, then?????? I'll keep it fun for you guys, promise.

1 comment:

  1. Wow what a great blog, i really enjoyed reading this, good luck in your work. Fish Replicas

    ReplyDelete