Monday, September 2, 2013

Shiney Brights

I guess when I turned 60  a month back I got a little reflective about what I've really been doing....well, I got over that and I figure it just plain and simple, anybody that can help generate a smile like this one on Susan Getty is doing  some good. Is that a great smiler or what?
Her and husband Bob along with their nephew Brian were 'walk on's' as we say in the business and am I glad they chose me and guide boat #003. Brian is a jetter at Elmendorf AFB and just an interesting guy. Susan and Bob are from Reno and I wouldn't be surprised to see them more in Alaska, it always makes me feel good to meet folks who love this place as much as we do. Any of you guys with sharp eyes will notice that we have one fish over the limit....I'm a rules guy, it's a sockeye.
I got to fish with Jerry and Jen Yates who I've known since the early 2000's. They seem to come every other year or so and are taken with Alaska as well. I guess I must be on a role because I start out the trip with a hug from Jenny followed by this gorgeous salmon.
The next 4 pics are a fun series. Netting your wife's salmon will certainly 'load test' your marriage. I don't know how the other guides do it but I'm always looking to include folks in all aspects of the trip, it actually means that I just get to do less and of course that's what I'm really good at. Thirty some years ago someone that I love very much told somebody that I 'lack all ambition' , well, here's a case in point.....if you go fishing with me you can net your own fish, put on your own bait and even tie your own knots. I always say "whats the worse thing that can happen" ? OK, we might lose a fish, no biggy, we'll just fish for some more. I even know one guide who advises his people to keep their pole in the water to pull the silver down so he won't jump and get off.....man, I love it when they jump and if they get off, well, we're fishing, that's all. My friend Jerry here agrees with me.
 And when the days done those guys have a pretty darn good mess of salmon. Their grand daughter made them promise to bring some salmon home to Memphis so even though the pressure was on, we got through it just fine. Do I look stressed ? Now that's a nice silver salmon
On Tuesday I fished with Bill and Donna Sanders. They were great fun and took advantage of the free RV parking here at Mile 14. I don't know but this time of year when you're the only one in the parking lot and seeing all the bear sign around the dumpster, I'll bet it was a bit scary .....woulda been for me.
I had Thursday off, no charter. About 10 am the phone rang and a young guy wants to go fishing in the afternoon. Now I normally wouldn't do that because catching really is the point and I just seldom deviate from my planned morning of fishing. Well, there's so many silvers around I tell these guys 'no worries' we'll get em. So I anchor at my favorite place, no bites. I run down to the incoming tide and have my timing perfect, no bites. I run upriver to RW's where you can always troll a couple out in a pinch....no bites. Yikes. Skunk job. And to make it worse one of these guys is Dan Baum from my old hometown of Helena Montana. We know people in common, we've hunted the same ranch land, we bonded.....So, Dan and Mikey, ya gotta give us another chance. I'll make it up to you, I'll give you  the combo to the gate lock....whatever it takes. You're cordially invited and we'll keep an eye out for you.
I couldn't believe we didn't catch any for those two , just bad moe-joe I guess . I mean  MP even catches them from shore right here at Mile 14, although she was semi-guided......

2 comments:

  1. Jeff,

    Are you sure you were not discribing Mille Lacs Lake these days?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a great blog, i really enjoyed reading this, good luck in your work. Saltwater Fish Mounts

    ReplyDelete