Monday, July 20, 2015

reds, rumors and restless

It's that time of year...the dips are after reds, the sportsmen are after reds and the commercial guys are settin  and a nettin like never before. It's intense here. The boat launch does 70 % of it's business in this 3 week time frame and I have to tell you this...MP is the hardest working person I've ever met. She's up at 3:30 am , seldom naps and cheerfully keeps things going smooth on days like Saturday when the launch was entirely full....Thanks baby. Here's a pic of the typical line up, we get the best people and unlike dip netters, they want to have fun AND catch fish. Beth Ehana there is one of our steady customers, she knows the 'code of the west ' and has turned into a heck of a fisherman.
I don't know if I can come up with 10 of them but this time of you year you here rumor after rumor as well as some plain old b.s.....so here's a list of the most common.

1.  My brother-in-laws uncles neighbor is a pilot and he spotted a school of reds in the Inlet that's 2 miles wide and 9 miles long.
2.  Bait on tuesday.
3.  One of guide Monte Roberts's customers caught and released a 65 inch King salmon ( the world record was 56" ) mmmm.....I like that one
4.  The commercial guys have caught 10,000 Kings
5.   The guides caught 10,000 Kings....

Well you get the idea...it gets a little weird around here when fish fever hits the crescendo. The other day I stopped for a potty stop at the Pillars Boat Launch ( which I'll NEVER do again) and watched a guy launch a brand new boat as he was reading the owners manual and after he just barely missed hitting me I as politely as I could said " put your life jackets on" to which he replied " mind your own *#$^@ business"...so we give those dippers a lot of room. When you see this type of boat going full speed on a nice little chop...get ready for evasive action.
During fishing season I'd like this blog to be more than just dead fish so I'll just say that this last week was a perfect mix of magic and tragic. We had two fantastic days, one so so day and one just terrible day...that's fishin. We caught a couple huge and my friend Pawul caught his first King ever and although not huge this baby was fun...
Nothing is more flattering for me than to be hired by local folks that know everybody and trust me to be the one to take their families fishing.  Charlie Carpenter sent his kids and grand kids out and for the little guys we just knew that the faster pace of trout fishing would be the thing rather than King or red fishing. So we motored the boat up to Soldotna above the King fishing zone and had the river to ourselves. We caught trout after trout on those gawdy ol flesh flys I tie and posted pics of  a while back. Here's a few pics of me and Paula, Ammon and his brother. you notice we're all wearing life jackets. I always do when we have kids around of course to set an example and I also always wear it when the dip netters are out or when ever I'm in the boat alone....ya know I've got a great life and I just might decide to just wear it ALL the time....think I will.
So when the stress of this fevered time of year is over I'm taking MPeasy out for a gourmet meal and I found just the right place....we gotta get some of that stuff.




No comments:

Post a Comment