Monday, July 13, 2015

the para normal

I told a friend just today that I'm certainly no fisheries biologist but I guess I'm a pretty darn good fisheries biologist critic.  They just hate guys like me that have been around and know the language and the ways of their ' science'. Some day at a party if you're around one of these guys ask them about the S.W.A.G. theory. So, everybody here is on the edge of their seats wondering how our King and Red runs will develop so I'm going to do the same thing that the close to six digit salaries do...I'm gonna predict the future.....Just like the early run all the numbers show our late run is going to be just fine and will make escapement.  The set netters have already reported a harvest of 2,424 Kings so it's simple, so far half the fish have made it to the river and about half of  them have been caught by the ...ahhh....nets....Here's the graph through July 9, I'll put the new figures up tomorrow. But you can see we are easily twice ahead of the last two years.
Our sockeye run has been so good for so long that the ol sooth sayer here predicts trouble in river city. I'm sure there's a mathematical formula somewhere that sciencetizes  ( I just made that word up ) a thing we call Murphy's Law and I don't know that formula....but I do know that nothings forever here and sooner or later someone elses ox gets gored. I don't expect the red run to crash but I do think it won't be as strong as they thought pre season. We're not seeing the numbers on July 13 like we have in the past and Bristol Bay came in it at half the forecast so.....brace yourself and take my advice.
I had a great week of fun fishing. I did pitch a no hitter on Saturday for some local folks who really really really wanted a fish or two so for that all I can say is...." don't give up on me Sarah, we've got the bad out of the way and the good yet to come". We must have caught half a dozen Kings like this one Jerri Slinger is holding. I guess it's new era as ol slimey is just not as robust as he used to be but what they lack in  size they seem to make up for with attitude. This fish jumped eye level several times.
I'm looking forward to a great week. The numbers seem to be good and although kinda rainy the weather is alright and the river has that gorgeous turquoise patina that makes it famous....and fishy with the no bait rule. So tomorrow about this time I'll update this blog with the new numbers and a picture of the 42 pounder we're gonna catch, come take a look see.

No comments:

Post a Comment