Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Final Approach

I hate to be in a hurry for ANYTHING....in fact I counsel the young guys around Mile 14 all the time to  not get in a hurry but I have to tell you that the first week of November brings two things I can't get to soon enough. We jump the jet the jet for Mazatlan and this election cycle will be over !  I have to say that I haven't seen anything as tacky as this election on CNN since Joe Hanes and I were glued to the O.J. Simspon trial some 20 years ago.

Without giving you my view on who's best or what oughta happen I'll just say this...what the heck happened to plane old American civility, tolerance, respect and just simple politeness ? I'm afraid that the biggest effect this election will have on America is that it further distances us from understanding and caring for others like we already see so much of today, more alienation and more of the me, me , me, me, mentality . So here's my political signage...this election is driving us all a little nuts I think.
So I'm staying busy in prep for surf fishing. You've all see the piles of gear that I take to an already overstocked tackle locker......here's a short list.
10 Line strectcher's
60 small jigs (more in a sec)
15 Lazer Minnows, 2 ounce
1200 yards Power Pro 20 and 30
Sabichi rigs
15 B-2 squids
5 pencil poppers....well , you get the idea.

Last year I had a real breakthrough after watching my friend Alejandro down size his gear when he'd see the tiniest of sardines right in the surf being chased by Pargo or Robalo. He'd throw out a tiny white feather jig with his hand line and let it just kinda bounce around in the rocks. The genius of it is that it's so light it won't just sink and get hung up. Here's a pic of one on the left of the bigger lures.
That particular jig caught these cool looking Grouper of some sort and the nice little batch of Amarillo Pargo's . These fish are excellent eating and you'd never know they were around until you learn to see the 'nervous' bait right ion the foamy whitewater on shore and usually in the rocks.
So this year as I was tying up flesh flies for my trout fishing I figured while I was at it I'd tie a bunch of those feather jigs myself. I hate to not buy them from Rafe at PescaMaz but no worries, he's got plenty of other stuff I'll be needing. Here's a few of them done and some really small rubber swim fish from Bass Pro that oughta work pretty darn good to. Just like the trout at Mile 14 it should be rewarding to catch fish on my own flies.
So I hope you all hang in there with me....real soon I'll have adventures and catches to report on...And cheer up America...



2 comments:

  1. I bet the white jigs work good I've caught a lot of fish on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete