Monday, October 31, 2016

Fall-In-Hole

Legend has it the name came from one of my old neighbors who decided to take his boat fishing back in the 1960's while under the influence of alcohol. People had seen him fall out of his boat and scamper back aboard so you know in this little town of ours that was really  really small back then word got around pretty good. Somehow or another he had the feeling that the only people who knew something had happened were the people at our boat launch that saw he was soaked to the bone so for years he said he's been chased into the river by a Brown Bear...I like that part best, and as you can see they're still around. We walked down to Fall-in-hole on Sunday to say good bye.
This wonderful mini wilderness area is 1/2 mile below our house. When I first started fishing the river if you weren't at Fall-in-hole you weren't fishing. Here's a pic of me with some of the fishiest water on the Kenai River behind me. This stretch of river is protected from development by Mother Nature herself. On both sides the wetlands and swamps sweep and turn through hundreds of acres that make up our back yard.
Stewart's island used to have many huge cottonwood trees that the eagles just love. Me and MPeasy started to notice about 20 years ago that the Beaver were taking them down so protected several with chicken wire and now there's only about three big ones left....and the Eagles still love them.
As we're on final approach here for Mazatlan we just kinda horsed around this day. My favorite Ornithologist says that this guy here is one of the first migratory birds to arrive every spring....and it looks like this particular guy is the last to leave as well. He's an American Dipper.
Everybody's seen what the Mile 14 looks like either from the river or the road but here's a shot of it from downriver. I was standing right at the top of the island , our house is way up that bluff to the left. Where I'm standing there is 4 ft. of water in July.
So we had a couple beers and took a nice long sauna...it's something that is easy to miss while we're away and something our house sitters love to use. With the sauna down at the river it makes it an event....look at this mug getting out of the 180 degrees....Oh, I'm getting haircut when we hit town.
Here's me and my running buddy saying good bye to the Kenai River at Mile 14...So I hope ya'all come back to this blog, we'll be catching some fish real soon..... I hope.
And of course ya know....we'll be singing some new songs, I got several all worked .


3 comments:

  1. I guess it's about that time, are you leaving earlier this year? When do you plan on returning?
    OK enough questions, safe travels!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave , out of here on the afternoon tide....

    ReplyDelete