Monday, October 10, 2016

Los Anchorage

I've heard it said that Anchorage is only 20 minutes from Alaska, it's true. On Saturday I made a quick trip up to get MPeasy as she returned from 10 days in Montana and we made a Cosco run, new spectacles. When I make that drive I'm always reminded how lucky we are, it's just gorgeous and just the right distance from Anchorage the city can't commute to work and live here but still close enough we can all still easily visit.

But don't think I just daisy sniff on the way. For forty years whenever I make the drive in the fall I stop and recon the East Fork of the Moose River to see how our Silver Salmon spawn is doing. Some years we've seen lots, some years none....if any of you at ADF+G are paying attention, make a note right here. If you see Silvers paired and spawning in a major contributor to the overall run it means our future runs are at least going to get started well, if you see none, well then we've got a problem on down the road a few years. It's simple. And this year I was pleased. It wasn't chalk full of spawners but in this one section I saw at least 50 to 75....here's a pic of pristine salmon spawning habitat. The two white spots in the foreground mid river are two Silvers doing their thing. Great news.
It's that time of year when the birds know it's time to get south. But for some reason these Trumpeters are always slow, seems like the last to leave. As I got to Tern Lake which is normally a Swan spot there were none...well, they were all at the Marsh, a stone throw from Crisco's house.
Just like us, they mate for life. Bottoms up. Pretty cool.
I stopped at the Russian to see how the morning float fishing was going and ran into an old friend. The fog was starting to lift and it was quiet and gorgeous and for a bit I was wishing I was going fishin....the best I could do was head north but I did open the sun roof and turn my Pandora onto Kevin Fowler nice and loud. You see that drift boat there ? Well I think it's the future of this fishery. I know that's not popular with the thousands of Willie Boat Predator owners but... I think.....
So me and MP are back together after a 10 dayer. I guess like most things in life you gotta find the good with the bad, lets start with the bad.
1. I didn't harvest all the tomatoes. I ignored the Kale a and abused the Brussel Sprouts but I only froze one Pumpkin.....and oh, I let the carrots get soft some how or another.
2. I didn't mow the lawn.
3. I missed her.
...........mmmmmm.....guess that's about it for the bad....now the GOOD.
1. I never watched P.B.S.
2. I didn't lose the dog
3. I worked up 2 new songs
4. I missed her...............end of report...here we are on our first walk back together.
One day while she was gone we were on the phone together when this guy came through the yard with two cows he was grunting and chasing over. Well they went to work on a couple of MP's fruit trees that we have wire around and I told her what was going on and offered to run them off and she said " don't worry, they can't hurt anything".....OK....you oughta see them now. It's Alaska, that's all.
mmmmm....well.....So maybe by the response ( none)  that wasn't the best song I've ever written. The only comment I got was from Tim and he's talking Mexico, oh well....But I'll keep trying, that's how it's done. And while I'm doing that I'm gonna head south, get comfortable, catch a few fish, meet new people, play some songs......stick around









No comments:

Post a Comment