Friday, December 16, 2016

Life's one big exercise

if you ask me. Yesterday at days end we watched sunset from the Playa Bruja just a short 3 mile beach hike from our house....then this morning we got up early for the biggy. 1/4 mile of steep terrain untill you get to the 387 steps that takes you to the top of the Faro which they say is the tallest natural lighthouse in the Western Hemisphere. It was weirdly foggy at 7:00 a.m. which is the prudent time frame with 90 degrees and more 100 % humidity in the day.
A sign at the bottom tells us it is 25 minutes to the top....me and MPeasy did it in 24 proving that once again that I'm an average guy.
So we get back to town and waited an hour for our breakfast to be served which is really not to unusual in these parts when MP spots another Christmas tree and of course I'm the designated operator. Now I'm going to take a chance with three pics, especially the 3rd one. It's just that the unusual is normal here and normal seems to be unusual.....know what I mean ? When I took that 3rd picture in the grocery store I noticed a couple Mexican ladies who noticed that I noticed....they 'weren't laughing...I hope you are, I mean really, Victoria's Secret meets the grocery store ???? And of course the other tree's are made with whats available unlike the gorgeous Alaskan Blue Spruce that me and Woody got one year....well they were gorgeous before we dragged them 30 miles home behind a snow machine at 60 mph. In any case, Mazatlan is in the Christmas Spirit.
I was going to post a video of the Rock concert we went to but our internet is just to slow to download it and I don't have but a couple beers to do this blog with. I'd call and try to get it fixed but the last time I complained about the Telmex service they sent a guy over and turned it off for 10 days...So a still pic will have to work, my internet is just fine thank you Telmex if you're reading Mile 14. In a weird way I left Hector Ortiz rockin out all the oldies with a big smile, my ears ringing and the same girl that I took to a Rock concert on our first date...It was Bachman Turner Overdrive.
So by now all you savy Mile 14 readers are thinking ' he's writing about girly stuff because he didn't catch a single fish this last week ',,,,,well har har har yee who doubt. I was on fire..... It started with a good case of cabin fever and I was having a powerful urge to escape the building. I hiked up the beach with my sun protection on and Gary Allan playing in my ear. It was low tide and no birds, it's the heat of the day and my distance is lacking ever since I shattered my best stick but low and behold an afternon snapper and a nice one at that.
Being an expert fisherman doesn't really require a lot of that grey material in your nogan. I'd like to think so but it's really basic stuff. Work hard, trust your instinct and get out of bed in the morning is the formula. So in this situation I kinda sensed a pattern might develop, I mean after all if I can catch a nice snapper under the worst conditions what can we do with the best. The next morning and hour before sunrise I landed my first snapper while it was still dark ( which was really fun) and before 8:00 a.m. I had 3 snapper AND a Corvina. Mucho Suerte.
So you know me...old ' whats worth doing is worth over doing ' went hard at it for a couple days. Just hard enough to make my back complain or should I say com-pain. I timed my casts and I average between 80 and 100 per hour...depends on how much talking I do. So with my back killing me I leave the big rod at home and take the little Loomis Salmon rod and caught one of the hugest Toro's of my life....thanks for the assist on that deal Ern. This fish here can eat you up..
I told MP I'd only fish an hour the next day and then rest my back because she's the one that has to listen to all the sniveling....well I caught a huge snapper and just about everybody that I like and who like's me now has had fresh pescado for supper.
We mobilized Team X and spent a morning 10 miles north, the place of many fishes through the years and.....nadda. Ernie caught the only fish and it was a nice snapper that had lines on it like I'd never seen. There must be a 100 different looking snapper around here and I aim to see em all.
Slah, Ramon and the guys were disappointed. I was ecstatic. Here's a pic to the north and then to the south. We're with friends, we're in the wilderness and we're FISHIN....
So for Slah all was not lost on a slow day. The fast action combined with a side order of senior citizen kinda put  Ernie to sleep and Slah got a nice video of him snoring contently away. very nice.
OK.OK, now you're asking yourself the same question I get to wondering whenever a certain friend of mine starts a story.....' does this story have an ending' ?.....yes it does and it's now.....or soon....but first, how about a new twist on the venerable sunset picture. We got sunsets, we got sunsetters, can't have one without the other.
I'd like to end....really.....with just a taste of the cultural and artistic appreciation that I'm known for. Our local artist Armandeo Nada was at the museum , His stuff is wonderful.



1 comment:

  1. I love the view to the south one of my favorites. The negative view to the north doesn't look familiar though.

    ReplyDelete